June 29, 2006

a safe journey

Yes, it's gluten free, and yes it's moist. It's just like the other cakes I bake with gluten-flour.

My son's used to have eczema when he was a baby, and it's gradually been clearing up as he's growing. We still keep gluten-free baking mix in our pantry. It's a lot safer, either for me who's producing, or him who's consuming the goodies from the kitchen. We've used Healtheries Baking Mix for baking and making gluten-free pancakes since we discovered his allergic to wheat and dairy products four years ago.

I notice they've improved the recipes in the package as well. I always follow their carrot cake and chocolate cake recipes for birthday or other occasions that will gather all the family, as my sister-in-law is a Coeliac herself. It is really safe to bake something out of the gluten-free package. It's alright for the rest of us, and it's good for those who are suffered from food intolerance diseases and are food allergens.

I use the Moist Chocolate Cake recipe from the package, and I cut the cake into three layers, each layer is sandwiched with marmalade and ganache. Then, when I saw there's a little bit of ganache left, I decided to make chocolate buttercream and decorated a bit here, a bit there. Just a simple one, nothing to show off, really. I want to sit back and enjoy each layer. And I thought it would do well if I added nuts for crunchy bites. I call it Chocolate Cake Layered with Ganache and Marmalade.



Moist Chocolate Cake
Source: Healtheries Wheat & Gluten Free Simple Baking Mix

1 3/4 cups Healtheries Simple Baking Mix
1/4 cup cocoa
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup water
1 1/2 tbs vinegar

Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a 23cm cake tin (6 cm deep) with baking paper and grease well. Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Mix all dry ingredients in a second bowl and stir to combine. Combine wet and dry ingredients and beat for several minutes with an electric mixer to give a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake at 160C for about 1 1/2 hours. The cake is cooked when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes. Remove from cake tin and peel away paper.

2 comments:

ira said...

mbak Arfi, saya baru berkunjung lagi. Dapur barunya keren lhooo!

HomeMadeS said...

halo, ira! thanks ya! :)