July 24, 2006

tumpeng for sarah

When it comes to a party or a small dinner gathering like last night, I totally devote myself of making what people call treat and entertainment, do my best to keep them indulged and involved with what they're putting in their mouth. I do love cooking and entertaining.

I don't have expensive ranges of cookware or homeware in my kitchen, although I'd love to collect Maxwell and Williams' famous tablewares or Donna Hay's feminine dishes. I think the delightful of entertaining doesn't always depend on how expensive your cutleries are. It's the food, your hospitality, and coffee.

I brought Indonesian traditional meals and snacks to entertain everyone last night, which I just used a humble tray decorated with banana leaves as where I put the meals in. We call it nasi tumpeng, a cone-shaped rice.



This rice is often served in a special occasion such as birthdays. It's served with various type of vegetables, fish, game birds, and meats. Someone who's clever in carving fruits and vegies will put their beautiful handworks on the tray as garnishes. I didn't do that far.

However, it took a very good quality time to cook traditional food. And I have to reduce the amount of spices we normally use to suit people's taste. Some of them just have tasted the food the first time of their lives. But amazingly, some food became very popular to their taste and none was left!

I also made birthday cake for the occasion as well. This is my daughter's second birthday. I think I would make a little cutie one for her. The butterfly worked well on a bunch of flowers. I thought I would make bugs bunny as well as she likes rabbits, but I broke his arm, and I couldn't mend it at the time I want to display it.



Happy birthday, darling Sarah Jane.

10 comments:

Pinot, Dita & Arwen said...

Fi,akirnya kuenya Sarah didekor pake apa? fondant? jadi bikin marshmallow fondant gag?

ira said...

mbak Arfi, selamet ya! Tampah seisinya itu bener2 bikin ngiler deh..
Ide kreatif yg asli emang suka dateng kalo kepepet ya, hehehe.

Barbara said...

I'm so sorry I couldn't be there Arfi. The cake looks lovely.

Bruno said...

Such a beautiful birthday feast!!
Your daughter (and guests) were lucky that you put forth such a nice effort!

HomeMadeS said...

dita, ga jadi pake marshmallow. udah kehabisan gelatin buat bikin puding. pake fondant aja jadinya.

HomeMadeS said...

ira, makasih :)

HomeMadeS said...

barbara, there'll be another time :) take care.

HomeMadeS said...

hi bruno, it was me who was lucky to have them :) thanks for dropping by!

i.witabora said...

halo mbak Arfi... salam kenal....mbak minta ijin nyobain resep2nya mbak arfi ya...thx ( ovi- showitwithfood.blogspot.com)

Arfi Binsted said...

silakan ya ra :)