September 18, 2006

lovely sunday

I must admit that having Barbara and Bryan for lunch at home is an enjoyable moment in my life. A bit confused of what I should cook, but then after a few emails I could make a decision. Gladly, they were all enjoyed. Here are the recipes.

Coriander Chicken Roast with Peanut Sauce

I didn't take a picture of the version I served on Sunday, so I use an old one as I regularly cook it. The best thing to do is to use coriander seeds instead of the powder one as they'll give more flavour. I served this chicken with peanut sauce and coconut rice (rice steamed in coconut milk, adding ground coriander and a bay leaf), and sauteed vegies (sweet peas, carrots, spring onions, cabbages, and mung bean sprouts--just bring them together into a frying pan, dot a bit of butter, and a good sprinkle of garlic salt--don't cook them too long otherwise you won't get the crunchy bite).


1.5kg whole chicken (free-range is the best!)
2 Tbs coriander seeds
1 tsp sea salt
3-5 (depends on how strong the flavour you want) cloves garlic
1 tsp tamarind paste, diluted in 2 Tbs warm water

Basting sauce:
2 Tbs salted butter,
2 Tbs sweet soy sauce
(Mix the ingredients)

Clean the chicken, trim any excess. You can butterfly them as figured in the picture, or cut them up into 4 portions (each wing with half of breast that'll make 2 pieces, then legs). This will cut the roasting time. Pat the chicken with paper towel. Put them in a big bowl. Pour the tamarind water onto the chicken pieces, let it rest for a while. Meanwhile, grind the coriander seeds, sea salt, and garlic with your mortar and pestle, then message this mixture all over the chicken pieces. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 160C, put the chicken in a roasting dish, cover with foil, and roast for about 20 minutes. Remove the foil, increase the temperature to 180C, keep basting the chicken with the basting sauce. Bake for further 1 hour or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.

Peanut Sauce
I just wanted to be quick, so I used peanut butter instead of blended the roasted peanuts into the food processor. You can use 300g to 500g roasted peanuts and 5 roasted garlic cloves for full flavour of the sauce (traditionally, peanut sauce is ground together with other ingredients until thick, then will be diluted into a certain consistency for serving).

2 cups peanut butter
1 cup sweet chilli sauce (for hotter version, use fresh chilli birds or red chillies)
3 roasted garlic cloves, mashed
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 block palm sugar (1 Tbs brown sugar to substitute)
1 tsp tamarind paste diluted with 1/2 cup of warm water, strained, reserve the water
1 Tbs sweet soy sauce
3 Tbs coconut milk

Put the peanut butter, sweet chilli sauce, mashed garlic, coriander, cumin into a saucepan, mix well on a medium heat, then pour in the tamarind mixture, sweet soy sauce, and coconut milk. You can add more water if it's too thick, cook until you can see any oil from the peanut on the surface of the sauce.

As for the dessert, I came up with individual serving of yogurt-fruit pudding. I thought it might be good after enjoying spiced meals. I didn't take a picture of it, but as I often make it for special occasions, I posted another picture of it. To serve on Sunday, I simply put them into small bowls for individual serving, but in this picture I used a fancy pudding mould my friend gave me as a present last time.

Fruit Salad Yogurt Pudding
Indonesian version click here

This is a newer version of the recipe I wrote in FoodnGarden, as I didn't have rambutan in juice. Instead, I used lycees as we bought them fresh (in their own skins!!)one day, so I left these lycess in their own juice in the fridge (after peeled them, of course!). I also reduced the amount of orange juice and I used honey instead of sugar. About the yogurt, he creamy Greek yogurt is fairly creamier than the peach and vanilla flavour, for sure!!

1 litre plain yogurt (on Sunday I used peach and vanilla mixture of yogurt)
1/2 cup honey
6 tsps gelatine
2 Tbs orange juice
1 can of fruit salad, drained well
100g fresh lycees (peeled and stoned)

Mix the yogurt and honey together. Stir gelatine into the orange juice, heat it up in the microwave for a few seconds, stir well. Set aside to cool a bit, then pour it into the yogurt mixture, followed by fruit salad and lycees. Pour into the mould or moulds. Serve.

I promised Barbara that I would make chocolate truffles for her when she came down, and I did. I was glad she enjoyed that. I made two different truffles: plain chocolate truffles with Bailey's cream, and the other was mixed with chopped roasted almond and rum essence.

Bailey's Chocolate Truffles

250g dark chocolate (I used 72% cocoa solids), chopped
4 Tbs cream
2 Tbs Bailey's cream

Heat the cream until almost boiling, remove from the heat, then add chopped chocolate. Stir until mixed well, then add Bailey's cream. Put into the fridge until it's hardened. Roll into balls, put them back into the fridge, then coat them with dark cooking chocolate or you can just roll them into cocoa powder.

I also made lemon cake for the same occasion, a mildest of all. Taken from David Herbert's cookbook "The Perfect Cookbook", this recipe is clever. You'll see.

Lemon Cake
by: David Herbert

185g unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 Tbs finely grated lemon zest
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease a 23 x 12 cm loaf tin and line the base with baking paper. In an electric mixer, beat the butter, caster sugar and lemon zest for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and well mixed. Gradually add the beaten eggs, alternating with a spoonful of the flour, mixing well after each addition. Fold in the remaining flour and mix gently until smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 50-60 minutes (my oven only took 45 minutes), or until golden and firm to the touch. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack.
Mix together the sugar and lemon juice until just combined, without letting the sugar dissolve. Quickly spoon the sugar mixture over the top of the warm cake. The juice will sink into the cake and the sugar will form a crunchy topping (this is CLEVER).

The End.


Barbara said...

Everything was wonderful Arfi. I'm glad you shared the recipes so I can recreate them.

HomeMadeS said...

you're most welcome, barb. look forward for Summer festive?? hehehe...