October 08, 2006

more cheese pleeeeease...

people in the group are very interesting. some are excellent cooks, some are great entertainers, and some are eager learners, like myself. sometimes it amazes me where these ideas come from, and there are always tips and tricks. sharing becomes the 'middle name' of each person. and most of us like to try what it seems new to us and sonds delicious. the results are: new recipe folders, new experiences, and new friends.

one of many great recipes shared in the group is this one. i've made this several times and it always turns out good. it tastes like cheese and sugar, not either too cheesy or too sweet. the flavours are mingled with one mighty bite, it's gone, leaving your tastebud to judge.

Cheese Button
original recipe: Femmy Jaco


250g butter (salted is doing fine, after all the base is just like pastry)
3 egg yolks
1 egg white
1 Tbs caster sugar
150g grated Edam (I used Cheddar)

450g plain flour, sifted (I use self-raising flour, the result is very light base)
100g tapioca

200g icing sugar
45g egg white (approximately one egg white, egg size 6)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
grated Cheddar cheese (to sprinkle)
vanilla essence or vinegar or lemon essence (to add more flavour)

Beat Ingredients A together (my method is to beat the butter and sugar until white and fluffy, then add the egg yolks and egg white one at a time), then mix in the grated cheese. Mix in Ingredients B, mix well. Roll onto a thin sheet, approximately 2-5mm (I think mine was 3mm), cut into square 2x2cm (I use a round cookie cutter to resemble a button). Spoon the icing onto each cookie. Bake in a preheated moderate-low (my oven setting is 160C) until crispy.


Emma said...

How absolutley intriguing - these I must try! SO they are sweet and savoury at the same time?

HomeMadeS said...

Emma-yes, they are sweet and savoury at the same time. the pastry is very short and crusty. let me know if you like it. cheers!