October 11, 2006

on a memory lane

In a Ramadhan night, a long long time ago. I was still a High School student, and was so glad that I was attending the kitchen to prepare meals and desserts for the Ied el Fitr in two days time. This means that my Mum would make a cake which was made from agar-agar powder, wheat flour, a lot amount of sugar, and sweetened condensed milk. She would add vanilla powder into the mixture. She said that would make the cake release its flavour while we're having a bite.



Not so long ago, I was looking for this recipe. I couldn't find it in my Mum's cookbook she gave me a few months ago, and then I gave a good shout to the group. And I've found the recipe I've been looking for, sent directly to my mailbox (Thank you Riana, you're the best, mate!). This recipe is definitely the one that we used to use a long time ago. And I just remember that.

And just yesterday, before breaking the fasting, I made this cake. I tend not to use too much sugar in any cakes I made and this recipe calls so much sugar. I have to reduce some amount as sugar and sweetened condensed milk are all used together. I added vanilla as well, but because I don't have vanilla powder, I use vanilla essence instead.

Now, I'm back on track. On my present life. With the cake from so long time ago.


Cake Casablanca
Source: Resep Bonus Sisipan Femina-Blueband
Sent and posted by Riana Ambarsari

This original recipe's method is not so organized, so use your best method you could apply and works for you. I did mine. And, oh, it should use waterbath.

100g Blue Band (it's a brand for butter and margarine in Indonesia--I used 50g butter and 50g margarine)
3 packets agar-agar (you can find them in Tofu Shop, NZD 1.80 per packet)
5 eggs (separate the yolks and whites, put them in the different bowls)
450g white sugar (I reduced it to 300g only)
1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk (that'll make half of 395g can we have here...do the math)
70g plain flour (sifted)
6 glass of water (1 glass equals 200mls)
3 Tbs cocoa powder

Original Method:
1. Melt the butter.
2. Beat the egg yolks with 225g sugar until thick. Fold in the sifted flour, mix well.
3. Bring to boil agar-agar, 225 sugar and water. When it becomes slightly cool, mix it into the egg mixture.
4. Fold in the beaten egg whites and the sweetened condensed milk.
5. Mix well. Divide half of the mixture and add cocoa powder. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared and greased pan, them pour in the chocolate mixture.
6. Bake for about half an hour, then chill. Cut to serve.

My Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease a big china dish or two. I use two 26x20 dishes.
  • Make sure you have some water in the jug, so when the mixture is ready to go into the oven, you can immediately have hot water for the waterbath.
  • Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and fluffy, mix in the sifted flour and while you're beating the egg yolks, melt the butter in the microwave. Add into the egg mixture. (I add in the vanilla essence by this stage).
  • Meanwhile (while your machine is beating the egg yolks), bring to boil agar-agar, sugar, and water. Remove from the hob, let cool, and keep stirring while you're cooling the mixture down. And when the mixture of egg yolks finished beaten, fold in the melted butter, take it out of the machine.
  • Put a smaller bowl to the mixer and beat the egg whites until stiff.
  • Back to the egg yolk mixture, the agar-agar mixture will be cooled down by now, and pour it into the bowl, one stream at a time, mix well. Add in the sweetened condensed milk. Then fold in the egg whites.
  • Pour into the prepared dish or dishes, bake waterbath for 25 minutes (my oven). It still IS gooey, but it'll set when it's cold. Let it cool at room temperature, then cover and chill in the fridge until set.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Sounds interesting Arfi. What is the texture like? Jelly or fudge?

HomeMadeS said...

it's both jelly-like and cake-like texture.

Riana said...

Pih, itu bungkus ager-ager bener-bener identik dengan masa kecil ya. Designnya gak berubah sejak maybe 30 tahun lalu, maybe more!

Barbara said...

You've tweaked your site Arfi. It does look good. I love pink!

HomeMadeS said...

riana-iya. aku sampe terkaget2 loh. ini pertama kalinya aku ketemu lagi sama agar2 sejak 4 tahun tinggal di NZ. rasanya jadi kembali ke masa lalu...

HomeMadeS said...

barbara-i need to learn more about customizing. it is fun but also is time-consuming. but at least i have a few hours free from the kids. yes, at night...hehehe...