November 17, 2006

Cake for Ferra

This cake I made for Ferra. She had a birthday just two days before we met at Owairaka, Auckland. I think I have posted this recipe on my previous burning blog, but for Ferra sake, I repost it here. It has a different style, different look hehehe...

Chocolate Drizzle Cake
Source: Succesful Baking

250g dark cooking chocolate (I used Whittaker's 72% dark chocolate)
250g self-rising flour, sifted
1 tsp vanilla flavouring essence (I used 1 vanilla pod, half, scrap out)
1/2 cup canola oil (I used grapeseed oil)
5 eggs, separated (I used 6 eggs)
125g caster sugar

Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease a 23cm ring cake tin. Melt the chocolate with 100ml cold water, stirring occasionally until smooth, add in vanilla, stir well. Set aside. Put the flour in a mixer bowl together with oil, egg yolks. Beat well. Add in the chocolate mixture in a thin stream until smooth. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, add in the sugar one tablespoon at a time, until all used. Fold 1 tablespoon of the egg white into the chocolate mixture, then gently fold in the remainder. Spoon into the baking tin, and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove to the wire rack to cool completely. Garnish as to your liking.

What I have done here, I melted white chocolate and pipe shapes for the garnishes. I made chocolate buttercream and pipe a rosette, then put red glace cherries on top. I also put some dark and white chocolate for more textures.

2 comments:

Riana said...

Wow, looks so good!
Pih, Pih, aku sambit pe-er nih, hihihi..
Pe er buat Arfi

Arfi Binsted said...

riana: weeeeeeeeee... dapet peer lagi dah ah. thanks anyway hehehe...