November 09, 2006

Negro African Tart

Every year when Muslims have finished their one-month fasting, they get together to celebrate the Ied el Fitr. On such occasion, I made one large chocolate cake (Negro AFrican Tart) and one large chocolate ring cake for a present for Ferra, my online buddy as she just had a birthday two days before the day we met.

I was so glad to see Barbara was sitting among the ladies. We had a very nice talk around food and blog once we sat together. I was so glad she enjoyed the food! I thought some of them would be too hot for her.

The Negro African Tart will make two large tins, but as I didn't have those large tins, I just used 26cm square tins. The result was higher sponges.

Negro African Tart

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
250g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla essence
160g plain flour
5 eggs
3 egg yolks
70ml evaporated milk
30g cocoa powder

Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Mix in the egg, one at a time, until well blended. Sift the flour together with cocoa powder, fold into the butter and egg mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time. Warm up the milk, then add in the mixture, mix well. Pour the mixture into a 26cm square cake tin, and bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto the wire rack to cool completely. Ice and garnish to your liking. Serves 25.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

Arfi - I'm so pleased you posted the recipe. I loved the cake. I looked at Ferra's web page. I smiled to see pictures of her little boy asleep.

HomeMadeS said...

I was so glad you liked the cake, Barb. And yes, he looks really 'peaceful' in his sleep, doesn't he?

Nigel said...

Arfi, your cakes look splendid! Such artistry, skill and no doubt, I'm sure they taste absolutely delicious!

Arfi Binsted said...

Hi, Nigel! I'm just hoping that you sign up for NZBBP. That way we can taste every homecooking! Nice to have you here, mate. Cheers!

Riana said...

I saw this photo on Barbara's blog before. I was like,"Hey it's Arfi!"
Piiiih, pengen ikutan blogging by pak pos... huhuhu...

paris lopez said...

Hi Arfi,

The cake looks gorgeous!!

Your recipes are great, I love them.. I was wondering whether you would like to post an original Indonesian recipe for Nasi Goreng ?


In the meantime... please keep decorating cakes !!
You are so good at it !!

All my best,


Paris Lopez

Arfi Binsted said...

Riana: iya, Barbara suka banget sama cake ini hehehe... blio udah nodong terus. jadi ya aku postingin. iya, ikut yang international aja, ri. atau, start with NCC members. will it give you some ideas?

Arfi Binsted said...

paris lopez: patty, is that you??? i make nasi goreng once in a while as my family loves it. i'll post it next week, I promise you. hugs for you, patty!

Emma said...

What lovely looking cakes! I would love a piece of the Negro African Tart.

Arfi Binsted said...

emma: thank you!! I'd love to cut some slices for you.

Lia said...

brown sugar and cocoa, yummm yummm... perfect combination! Once I made this kind of choco-cake using palm sugar mixed with your delicious golden syrup, iced with milk ganache. Trust me it was soooo goood!

Arfi Binsted said...

liyah: hehehe... glad you're enjoying the syrup and make the most of it. hugs.