December 08, 2006

spring rolls

When I was still a student of a Primary School in the 70s, I used to take my coin of Rp 5.00 to the school canteen at morning tea break. I would buy a bag of lumpiahs (Indonesian spring rolls) which were fat and full of sauteed vegetables, a small bag of fried unshelled peanuts, and a bag of ice tea (it was usually a jasmine tea, the type of tea that brought so much memories) . I would then sit with my friends on a bench and were then munching while watching the boys playing soccer or badminton.

That memory came to me lately, summoning...

I'm wondering where my friends are at present, what they're doing... the boys who played soccer and badminton... the ladies who were selling the lumpiahs... I wonder.

Yet, I still remember so well, how the ladies made those lumpiahs, because they were my Mum's friends as she was a teacher at the school I attended. Therefore, I had an access to the kitchen and watched them cooking. They would have the fillings ready and when they were just making the crepes as the school morning tea break came close, put the filling in, wrapped and rolled, had the wok full with hot oil ready on the kerosene stove, then would deep-fry the parcels until they turned golden. Then I would wrap my own bag, hot! How lucky I was!

Anyway, the term what Wikipedia gives for lumpia is similar to Chinese spring rolls actually is somewhat close to risoles wrappers. The only difference is that lumpiah is not dipped in egg and rolled in breadcrumbs, but is just deep-fried after sealed with either water or egg yolks. And it's very different from Vietnamese spring rolls which the wrappers made from rice.

I usually use this recipe for the wrappers with a little adjustment to suit the availability in the pantry. It will give thin textures of the crepes, and will be crispy when they're deep-fried.



Indonesian Spring Rolls [Lumpiah]
Source: Mbak Ine

Wrappers 250g standard plain flour
1 egg yolk
salt
pepper
40g milk powder
650ml water

Simple Filling from My Childhood Memory
mung bean sprouts (this makes the major filling of all)
shredded cabbage
carrots (either chopped or julienned)
shallot, thinly sliced
cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
oil for cooking the vegetables
salt
pepper

oil for deep frying

Wrappers: Whisk all ingredients together until smooth. Heat the oil to make the crepes. Try to make as thin as possible.

Filling: Heat the oil, cook the shallots until become translucent, then add in the sliced garlics. Cook until fragrant, add in the vegetables. Cook until the vegetables become soft, but still crisp. Remove and set aside.

Put one crepe on a plate, fill in cooked vegetables, wrap and roll. Have the hot oil ready in a wok or deep-fryer. Cook the rolls until golden.

There is also some idea to use spring roll wrappers. I had this idea from Evimeinar's blog, one of my friends through my multiply account. I used lady's fingers which are still quite half-ripen, so the filling won't become wilted inside when it's fried.


Banana Spring Rolls [Pisang Aroma]
Source: The Art and Science of Food

4 spring roll wrappers
4 lady fingers bananas
ground cinnamon to sprinkle
Nutella hazelnut and chocolate spread
oil for deep frying

Take one sheet, spread the nutella all over, put the whole banana, sprinkle with cinnamon, wrap and roll, then deep fry. I drizzle them with dark chocolate while they're still hot. Yummy to eat with whipped cream or mascarpone.

Selamat Makan. Bon apetite.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delicious!!!

Steven Burda, MBA

Temple University, BBA, 2003

St. Joseph's University, MBA, 2006

Villanova University, Post-MBA, 2007

Philadelphia, PA

www.linkedin.com/in/burda

e-mail: steven.burda.mba @gmail.com

Arfi Binsted said...

hello, steven!! i believe you've experienced them? thanks for dropping by! cheers.

Nigel said...

Arfi, I have a bunch of Indonesian guys working on the orchard who make Lumpiah for lunch! God, they smell delicious! And there's me sitting there with a mince & cheese pie...

Arfi Binsted said...

Nigel, that way you are sharing cultures, the way you guys eating and what you have to eat hehehe... say hi to them! cheers!

Bruno said...

These look great Arfi!

Arfi Binsted said...

Thanks, Bruno!!

Andaliman said...

wahhh aku baru tau resep pisang aroma yg aku posting menginspirasi mbak arfi...