January 14, 2007

Beetroot & Plum Chutney



I was very amazed to see how this year's-grown beetroots have been growing. Their leaves are massive, yet the bulbs are apparently getting plumper. Soon enough they'll be much rounder and fuller than today. Emma had had a post about beetroot chutney a few weeks ago and I was inspired since ever then. I made my beetroot chutney just like I did my Tamarillos, except I used plums and 2 Granny Smiths only. It was both made clever red color and wonderful taste as well.

The plums that I used were half-ripen Burbank plums which the branches were snapped off by a light storm a few days ago. I can't waste them as they'll quite nice (I let them ripen at room temperature for a couple of days and they turned really sweet with dark red flesh) when they're ripen. John had to cut the snapped branches and I gathered the fallen fruits which I thought they'd be wonderful to substitute the apples.


Beetroot & Plum Chutney



4 beetroots (I used the size of 4 beetroots as figured in the photo),
300g brown sugar (I added a couple of more spoonfuls as to reach the desired sweetness),
2 Granny Smiths, cored and chopped,
17 half-ripen Burbank plums, stoned and chopped,
3 big red onions, chopped,
1 brown onion, chopped,
4 cloves garlic, peeled,
2 cups malt vinegar (actually, I just pour the vinegar into the mixture when I saw it was too thick, and you can add more vinegar when yours is still too thick and too heavy—oh, vinegar is important as it's acting as the preservative if you don't like the sour taste of it—that's what I read in a book),
freshly crack black pepper,
salt,
1 tsp ginger,
1 tsp cayenned pepper,
1 tsp paprika,
1 tsp allspice.

Clean the beetroots and put them in a big saucepan with about a quarter of water, covered, bring to boil, simmer for about 15 minutes or until the skin can be slid off easily. I used a fork to hold the beetroots and a small teaspoon to peel off the skin. Chop beetroots and put them together with chopped apples, plums, onions, and garlic in the food processor. Process until smooth (I just like them stay slightly chunky). Put the mixture into a big pot, add in the vinegar, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and spices. Cook until thick. Put them into the sterilising jars. Label and store in a dark cool place. Makes 8 various jars.

6 comments:

Tim said...

Arfi! You have given me a great idea on how to use the plums I have just been given. Just a shame I did not plant beetroot this year! I would love to know how the chutney tastes - if it is anything like your tams chutney it will be marvelous!

Arfi Binsted said...

Tim! Well, the taste is not that far from tams chutney, only this beetroot & plum is more sublte... I don't know how to describe it. It's same but different in some way. I'll let you taste it when you can come next weekend. I'm planning to give some jars away to my guests.

eliza said...

arfi, i like cooked beet in my salad. it's the perfect sweet, a little sour addition, plus i get addicted to its earthy smell!

Arfi Binsted said...

eliza, yes, i do love beetroots for their earthy taste and smell.

Bron said...

Sounds delicious Arfi, shame about your tree

Arfi Binsted said...

bron: it's a shame indeed. welcome back!