January 08, 2007

homegrown-greengage



It's officially Summer though the weather doesn't support the-so-called. Yet, the fruits are getting ripen and we are enjoying plums, peaches, and nectarines from some trees at present. Those we are only enjoying freshly picked from the tree in Summer, really. They taste so sweet, so fresh, so juicy, and so no wax, for sure.



First to enjoy was these little red flesh plums, so called Elephant Heart. Their shape resemble a heart which has red skin and red flesh. They taste as sweet as juicy. They look like Black Dorris in appearance, and taste like them as well. We just ate them when we wanted them. We just simply stood by the tree, and ate them like a bird. Children just love them.



This one is Greengage. This is our favourite at the moment. I just found one ripe fruit when I saw a clump of small green skinned plums were getting yellow. I gave a gentle squeeze, and it felt so soft. I picked it and tried it. First sensation was the spurt of juice as I bit it. Very sweet. Very juicy. I fell in love at the very moment and went to come to taste it again and again. The children were stuck with the purplish skinned Sulten. Lucky me.



I haven't come across any Greengage plum neither in the supermarket nor at the farmers market I went on Saturday. I am curious if this is a rare variety. I would think growing them particularly easy, and I am sure there's a market for it. They would meet any criteria a buyer needs or wants.

If you are interested, you probably could contact Farrel's Nurseries. John bought many fruit trees from the same nursery.

8 comments:

Angie said...

waah.. di NZ juga ya, aku juga nihh... suka deh liat2 website ini ^^

Arfi Binsted said...

hi! kamu di auckland sebelah mana? kami suka ke auckland kalo lagi ada halal bihalal. terakhir kemaren di owairaka. keep in touch ya!

Lia said...

*glek* buahnya sampe segitu banyak di puunnya. Kalo peak season gitu ngabisinnya Pih? Dibikin preserved ato dijuwal? *dasar otak pedagang nih gue*

Bruno said...

Arfi, you are so lucky to be able to step into your yard for a fresh treat like that!

Arfi Binsted said...

liy, buahnya ga pernah sampe habis percuma, percaya atau ga. lah gimana mau abis, wong dimakanin tiap hari hihihi... selain itu kalo peach dan nectarine biasanya aku poached pake vanilla beans.

Arfi Binsted said...

Bruno!! Merry X-mas! Yes, I'm so lucky, indeed.

ratna/3astwest said...

Happy summer darling! happy panen juga! buahnya menggiurkan sekaliii *can't wait until my turn hehehe* yg panen dirumah gue cuma jeruk doang sekarang :). sun sayang buat ben dan sarah for me please.

Arfi Binsted said...

hehehe ratna sekarang giliran loe yang ngerungkel di selimut huahahaha!!! bentaran saat loe panen raya gue yang gantian ngerungkel.