January 22, 2007

SHF#27-Chocolate By Brand


David Lebovitz is the host of Sugar High Friday #27. This event was initiated by Jennifer of Domestic Goddess which attracts many participates all over the world. I'm quite happy to enter this year round.

SHF #27 is themed Chocolate By Brand. Talking about chocolate brand is taking me back to several journeys I made until I've got this far. I was used to enjoy my home country's cashew nuts covered with milky chocolate. I think it was called Silver or some sort, I can't remember now. It was very sweet with crunchy nuts in every bite. I used to eat bars and bars of it. And then, there was candy-like bars--tasted like Mars bars--which were called beng beng chocolate. I loved it's caramel chewy inside which fully covered by chocolate, either dark or milk.

And then there was ranges of Delfi and Nestle which then came to front of first pick on the confectionery items. I always love the Black Forest theme. Luscious and dangerous!

Living in New Zealand, and then be introduced to different flavour of chocolates, massive brands, such as Whittaker's, Pam's, then again, Nestle and all of those dark chocolate versionof paradise... oh..I got lost! But truly, I do love DARK chocolate. My very favourite, EVER! Love the bitter edge of it, linger in my tastebud for further joy, intimate, and ... thousands words of praise... of something larger than luscious... I don't doubt it. Wonderful!

Whittaker's is my first choice to use when I am craving of chocolate or am wanting to create something marvelous. It's not really taking deep in my pocket to buy bars of it, and there's another reason: I do love the bitter edge of every tiny square of it. I think a homecook like I am would much appreciate to get an affordable ingredients as well as to create briliant flavours.

Well, then I've got write this recipe. I got it from Donna Hay's Winter issue. Lovely.


Baked Chocolate Fudge

Source: Donna Hay Magazine, Winter Edition, Issue 28.

400g dark chocolate, chopped (I used Whittaker's 72% dark chocolate), 120g unsalted butter, 1 cup brown sugar, ½ cup fresh (single or pouring) cream, 2 Tbs instant coffee, 5 eggs, 2 Tbs plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted

Preheat the oven to 150C (300F). Place the chocolate, butter, sugar, cream, and coffee in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir until the mixture melted and smooth. Place the eggs and the flour in a bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and pour into a lightly greased 7 ½ x 32 ½ cm (3 x 13 in) rectangular tin line with baking paper. Place the tin in a deep baking tray and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the tin. Bake for 2 ¼ hours or until the chocolate fudge loaf is cooked when tested with a skewer. Place the tin in the fridge and allow to cool completely. Remove the fudge loaf from the tin and slice to serve. Serves 10.

7 comments:

Tim said...

It looks like you have been a busy baker / blogger over the past few days and I have come catch up reading to do! The cake looks too good to eat!

Lia said...

Absen! Wuiy, buanyak postingan baru yang nonjok2 reekkk...! Too bad, gue lagi program diet low cal (kali ini beneran, gak brani slebor lagi, abisna gue udah 63kilo hwaaa).
Hmmm... ada gak ya, resep pake coklat dan krim dan butter yang low cal? *mimpikaliye* :))
Miss you honey!

Arfi Binsted said...

Tim-I've just found time to be away from the children for a while. that's something, isn't it?

Liyah-wis jan, ga usah diet, ntar malah kurus *plethaaakkk*

Brilynn said...

I have that issue, and like a sucker I haven't made that fudge yet. Must go to kitchen now...

rachel said...

Yum! Fudge! I'm more of a milk-chocolate person myself. I think because my mom loved dark chocolate and I wanted to be different. That recipe looks great. I wish I could check out the Donna Hay magazine . . . I'll have to try and find it here in the US.

Bron said...

oooh I have a great weakness for fudge, I can almost taste the photo!!
And YAY for Whittakers! hehe, I used it too!

Arfi Binsted said...

Brilynn-this time round of chocolate David's hosting us is really bonding us to one knot: chocoholics or cocoaholics. It's just great!

Rachel-yes, sometimes we just want to be different. i want to be different from my husband as he's a milk chocolate kind of person. i have to compete with him if i do milk chocolate as well, you see!

Bron-YAY!!!