February 18, 2007

Rolls Nice

I still recall that a lady at our neighbourhood one day made a lot of money by making swiss rolls. She took orders from anyone who whatever reason could not bake them themselves. I just knew from my Mum that she made more than 5 rolls each day (increased amounts often are getting higher in Ramadhan up to the coming celebration of Ied el Fitr). I saw she had a very big standing oven down by her hallway near her garage, perhaps that's why she could produce 5 or more rolls a day.

I think my Mum was once ordered some chocolate swiss roll from her, unfortunately I was way too ignorant to notice if it was good or ordinary. I was just a kid and not interested in baking whatsoever. I was not even interested in cakes, either. Though I made my own cookies for Ied el Fitr, I often just ignored the baking time and went off to the field to play with kites or just riding my bike around the neighborhood. Hey, what you can expect from a 7 year old girl? Lucky enough I could settle down for hours to make cookies or help Mum beating the eggs.

One of these days, it's the time for taking notice that this kind of cake needs extra attention. It's treated like a sponge cake, for it IS a sponge cake, only it's baked in a Swiss roll tin. The ingredients are mainly eggs and sugar, with adding very little amount of flour or other ingredients.

I do like this kind of cake as it has very soft texture (if you can get it right, though). I do believe that mixing the eggs and sugar well is one of the thing to take care of besides incorporating the melted butter carefully and thoroughly can be a little bit tricky and should need extra care. Other than that, it's fun and worth trying. Don't worry if you fail, you still can use it for the base of a trifle. Never be panic in the kitchen, otherwise you will think you're getting a little apprehension towards kitchen and you think you've had enough, while ingredients in the pantry are piled up, waiting for some action. Now, that's something to be panicky!

I made my first Swiss roll to mark the day I join the cooking group. I have been journeying into different recipes at different times since then. I also have tried the Swiss roll of Taste magazine which doesn't mind cracked rolls appearance for the unforgotten flavour of all is the fudgy sponge and creamy filling themselves. Fancy that there should not be a rule about this smooth rolls for there's something to be enjoyed more than cracked surface. So, I don't mind cracked swiss rolls. When it tastes good, why not take a slice?

For these two recipes, I have no idea where these are coming from. I found them in my Mum's recipe book which she compiled from many resources. She subscribed Femina and Kartini, so perhaps either one of them had issued these recipes. I apologize to the actual sources, therefore I won't mention until I'm informed which is which.



Gateau Africane Roll

For this recipe I reduce the amount of eggs to 2 yolks and 4 eggs, and 100g caster sugar only. I use fresh cream and 1 Tbs icing sugar for the filling.




Photo Updated on 25 November 2007, on the occasion of Mum's birthday. I coat the roll with 70% dark chocolate.

6 egg yolks,
4 eggs,
130g caster sugar,
5g Ovalet/TBM (it's emulsifier brands. I don't use it),
45g plain flour,
10g cornflour,
10g cocoa powder,
½ tsp baking powder,
80g melted butter,
1 Tbs chocolate paste (I don't use it)

Beat the eggs, sugar and emulsifier (if using) until thick and pale. Meanwhile, sift together flour, cornflour, cocoa powder and baking powder in a bowl. Add into the thick mixture, one spoon at a time. Mix well with a low speed, then increase the speed for a few seconds. Turn it off, then add in the melted butter and chocolate paste (if using). Mix well (make sure there's no melted butter on the bottom of the bowl. This will cause swiss roll turns into a brick). Pour into a 30x30x4cm swiss roll tin which has lightly greased baking paper on the base. Bake in the preheated oven to 190C for 15 minutes or until cooked. Let it cool. Spread with your favorite filling, then roll.

Updated note 25/11/07: Because I don't use chocolate paste, I add 1 Tbs cocoa powder in the melted butter. It works!

Filling: 100g rap/krema, ½ tsp salt, 170g icey water, 2 Tbs rhum

Beat all ingredients together until smooth, then spread on to the sponge.




Green Cheese Roll

Now this one is really special. Everytime I make it, I remember the smell of Balinese offerings at our bungalow in Ubud. The fragrant of Pandan leaves is very intriguing to the very deepest sense in my brain. Though it's impossible to find fresh pandan leaves here, I manage to use the frozen ones. To make a teaspoon of pandan extract, I used 15g of frozen pandan leaves, process them in the food processor, then squeeze hard. It can't be much easier than that, I suppose. I don't use eggs more than 8 eggs at once, and I stick on it. In this recipe, I only used 3 eggs and 5 egg yolks. It turned out just fine.

Photo is updated on 25 November 2007: I made this green cheese roll for a picnic lunch down the Waikato River.

9 egg yolks,
3 eggs,
120g caster sugar (I use 100g only),
5g Ovalet/TBM/Quick (I don't use it),
20g milk powder,
60g plain flour,
½ tsp baking powder,
1 tsp pandan extract,
green food coloring (I used two drops of pandan paste, instead),
90g melted butter

Beat the eggs, sugar and emulsifier (if using) until thick and pale. Meanwhile, sift together flour, milk powder, and baking powder in a bowl. Add into the thick mixture, one spoon at a time. Mix well with a low speed, then increase the speed for a few seconds. Turn it off, then add in the pandan extract, food coloring, and melted butter. Mix well. Pour into a 32x32x4cm swiss roll tin which has lightly greased baking paper on the base. Bake in the preheated oven to 190C for 18 minutes or until cooked. Let it cool. Spread with your favorite filling, then roll.

Note updated on 25/11/07: Instead of using pandan extract, I used pandan paste. I received it as a gift from a friend. If you live in Auckland, you can find it at Tofu Shop, North Shore.

Cheese Filling: 45g butter, 75g margarine, ½ tsp salt, 40g grated cheese

Beat butter, margarine and salt together for 15 minutes, then add in the grated cheese. Beat again well, then spread on to the sponge.

7 comments:

Bruno said...

Nice looking rolls Arfi!

Arfi Binsted said...

thank you, bruno!!

Bron said...

Mmmm we are very fond of swiss rolls in this house and yours look gorgeous Arfi, I especially love the green Pandan!

Arfi Binsted said...

oh, i would love to bake one for you and girls!!

eliza said...

ngiler...ngiler...makasih udah bagi resep ya Fi. yg ijo2 itu rasanya enuak banget :P

Lia said...

I wanna try ur rools this week for our picnic snacks, wish me luck ya mba, hehehhehehe

Arfi Binsted said...

hehehe... nek nggawe ojo serius banget loh ya. nyante ajeeee... good luck!