April 13, 2007

HHDH#11: Mousse All the Way

I am not really a fan of mousse and I have never made any mousse before, except that the one I once made orange mousse as the filling of layered chocolate cake for my friend. However, I am a big fan of dark chocolate and quite happy to try it this time. I have this recipe adapted from Donna Hay magazine, of course.

The use of 70% dark chocolate really helps me to like this mixture, though I still prefer chocolate vanilla crème.

This is my entry for Hay Hay It's Donna Hay #11, themed Mousse, hosted by Helen of Tartellete.




Chocolate Mousse

Source: Donna Hay Magazine, Winter, Issue 28

4 eggs, separated,
2 Tbs caster (superfine) sugar,
200g (7oz) dark chocolate, chopped,
1 ¼ (10 fl oz) cups (single or pouring) cream

Place the eggwhites in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Add ¼ cup (2 fl oz) of the cream and the egg yolks and whisk well to combine. Place the remaining cream in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Add the chocolate and eggwhite mixture and fold through to combine. Spoon the chocolate mixture into 1-cup (8 fl oz) capacity bowls and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set. Serves 6.

Have a good weekend everyone!

16 comments:

Barbara said...

A lovely entry Arfi. The sugar would have made it much sweeter than my version. Thanks for entering.

Helene said...

Looks great Arfi...If I couls just stick my finger through my screen!
Thanks for participating!

Arfi Binsted said...

Barb-I reduced the sugar to 1 tsp only. I just like the taste of bittersweet chocolate.

Helene-My pleasure, Helene!!

Bron said...

Sounds gorgeous Arfi, loooove 70%!!

Arfi Binsted said...

absolutely alright with 70%!!

Cenk said...

Hey this looks amazing. I like the way how it overflowed. By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog!

Arfi Binsted said...

cenk-thank you!!

Shawnda said...

Gorgeous mousse - the chocolate run-over makes it look to-die for.

Arfi Binsted said...

Shawnda: thanks a lot. It would not be flown over when my kids didn't make a chaotic sounds around me hehehe.

joey said...

I'm a big fan of dark chocolate too! The darker the better :) Your mousse sounds yummy!

Arfi Binsted said...

joey: bless us the chocolate lover!!

Meeta said...

Love the way it oozes out of the bowl. Yummy!

Cheryl said...

Oh that picture is sinful. Look at that drizzling over the side. Yum.

Culinarily Curious said...

I love the rustic, homemade look and feel of this mousse -- not what you'd normally expect from a rich and fussy mousse.

Deborah said...

Yummy!! Gorgeous photo as well!

Arfi Binsted said...

Meeta-hehehe, thanks a lot.

Cheryl-certainly rich. thanks.

Culinarily Curious-thanks. I'm taking that as a compliment.

Deborah-I'm still learning. Thanks!