May 21, 2007

Brownie Babe of the Month#2-A Soulfood Brownie



This is the idea of a group of people who love brownies. And brownies have a close link with chocolate. And probably we're a kind of Les Mangueses de Chocolat, a group of women who looooove chocolate. Well, it's nothing about gender, really, it's just because I am a woman, so I say a group of women. But, really, do men eat chocolate when they gather and talk in a group? I pretty much see a better vision of men and beer rather than men and chocolate.
Anyway, I don't often make brownies but I always put brownies on an after-lunch/dinner menu for an option my guests would like a nib to serve with coffee. Yes, I think chocolate goes well with coffee. Truly legend, honestly sinful!

One of my good friends at one party time had to have a pinch of brownies from my plate as she pleaded beforehand that she would not eat any brownies but then she couldn't resist the temptation yet still felt rather guilty if she ate the whole square. She would not be able to blame herself when the next morning she called me and told me that she gained a few ounces! Ouch! I said, my goodness, blame on the brownies!
What's so wrong with brownies? I don't think it's the matter of wrong or right. Perhaps, a slice of brownies would be great for the whole week until you have enough courageous to slice another square (and perhaps, by that time you want to do it, they have all gone!). Bless the waistline for not being widen because somebody had taken the brownies away from you.
Have you noticed that when someone's making brownies they have to put a lot of sugar? Should a brownie be having cracked surface? Maybe that what makes it different from a cake, doesn't it? Well, honestly, I always reduce the sugar to half of the amount the recipe uses, perhaps that's why my brownies don't have cracked surface. If it's not true than blame on my baking skill.
Anyway, I always like the brownies I often make to indulge my guests which is the mixed of less sugary slices and is made of a cake of dark chocolate, and raspberries. I think it's a clever way to put raspberries in the mixture as they make the brownies taste fruity and scrumptious at the same time which is really great to combine with the flavour of bittersweet of chocolate.
This recipe I once wrote on my previous blog, and since I simply use it again and again, I think it's great to share with you. If you love dark chocolate as much as I do, you would love this brownie!
This is my entry for Brownie Babe of the Month event, hosted by Myriam of Once Upon A Tart.




chocolate raspberry brownie





Soul Food's Chocolate & Raspberry Brownie
I used a cake (bar) of Dark Mocha from Whittaker's which has 62% cocoa solids. The addition of coffee in the chocolate makes a little different taste from dark chocolate only. You can smell coffee in the chocolate mixture when you're melting the chocolate and butter. Very pleasant.
Source: The Foodtown Magazine. October/November Issue 19. 2004. p.94
300g coverture chocolate, chopped, 300g butter, diced, 6 eggs, 2 cups caster sugar, 1 ½ cups flour, ½ cup (Dutch) cocoa, 2 tsps vanilla essence, 1 cup frozen raspberries, ½ cup chopped chocolate, extra
Preheat the oven to 170C. Line a 20cm x 30cm slice pan with baking paper.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of hot-not boiling-water. Mix, until completely combined. Beat the eggs and sugar, until fluffy (but not too fluffy). Add the chocolate and butter mixture.
Sift the flour and cocoa and fold into the chocolate mix. Add the vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the raspberries and extra chocolate evenly over the top. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean at the edges and the centre is slightly gooey.
Cool and cut into 16 pieces. A light warming in a microwave before serving is highly recommended. Serve with lashings of cream on the side. Serves 16.




In Bahasa Indonesia
Satu lagi nih koleksi brownies yang sering aku bikin untuk teman minum kopi setelah makan malam. Penambahan raspberry mengimbangi coklat yang kaya rasa, membuat brownies ini spesial banget. Cocok juga untuk dessert dengan menambahkan raspberries segar atau buah-buah berries lainnya.
Brownies ini lebih enak jika menggunakan dark chocolate yang mengandung cocoa solids lebih dari 50% untuk rasa yang lebih tajam dan padat coklat, dengan tingkat kemanisan yang tidak terlalu 'menyengat' gigi. Pemakaian 6 telur menjamin kelembaban brownies ini. Namun perlu diingat, produk akhir brownies ini harus lembab dan tidak kering pada umumnya brownies yang lebih sarat gula dan hanya mengandalkan coklat bubuk.

Soul Food's Chocolate & Raspberry Brownie
Saya menggunakan coklat batangan Dark Mocha produk dari Whittaker's yang memiliki cocoa solid lebih dari 62% (selain harganya lebih terjangkau, rasanya juga tajam). Penambahan kopi di dalam coklat memberi rasa yang berbeda dan berasa 'ngopi' jika dibandingkan dengan produk dark chocolate lainnya. Aroma kopi ini semwriwing keluar dari adonan coklat dan mentega saat dilelehkan. Nyokpi deh (Nyoklat dan Ngopi).
Source: The Foodtown Magazine. October/November Issue 19. 2004. p.94
300g coverture chocolate, cincang kasar, 300g mentega, potong-potong, 6 btr telur, 2 cups gula caster, 1 ½ cups tepung terigu, ½ cup (Dutch) coklat bubuk, 2 tsps vanilla essence, 1 cup frozen raspberries, ½ cup coklat cincang, ekstra
Panaskan oven suhu 170C. Alasi loyang ukuran 20cm x 30cm dengan baking paper.
Lelehkan coklat dan mentega di dalam mangkuk tahan panas yang dijerang di atas panci berisi air panas (bukan mendidih). Aduk-aduk hingga tercampur rata. Kocok telur dan gula sampai kental tapi ga sampai naik betul. Tambahkan campuran coklat dan mentega tadi.
Ayak tepung dan coklat bubuk lalu masukkan ke dalam campuran coklat. Tambahkan vanilla. Tuang ke atas loyang. Taburi raspberries dan coklat ekstra secara merata. Panggang selama 25 menit atau sampai tes tusuk bambu (atau tusuk gigi) di pinggir brownies licin dan tidak ada adonan yang lengket, tengahnya masih tetap kental (tapi tidak encer).
Biarkan dingin lalu potong menjadi 16 kotak. Sebelum dihidangkan sebaiknya dihangatkan di dalam microwave dulu (hal ini untuk membuat taburan coklat tadi melembut dan memberi kesan 'melt' saat disendok pakai garpu). Hidangkan dengan krim. Untuk 16 potong.

8 comments:

Chris said...

These look decadent! I love the taste of chocolate and fruit, and raspberries? Yum! Since I am allergic to chocolate, I can't eat it, but I have tried! :) And I would probably try again with these. Beautiful!

Arfi Binsted said...

Oh, No!! Not when you'll get sick because of it, Chris. Well, take a good care, okay? hugs.

eliza said...

what a killer brownie, eh! i want to make brownies again for that event...hopefully i still have time :D

Arfi Binsted said...

liz, so many events, so little time. hehehe... you go, girl!!

Lis said...

Now that's a brownie worthy of the browniebabe award. Seriously. I was going to enter again this month, but now, instead I think I'll just make a batch of these instead. =)

xoxo

Arfi Binsted said...

Lisa-Hey, be my guess!!! These are scrumptious and very great for a chocophile, if you are hehehe!

Lia said...

*donlot picnyah trus diprint trus krikit2 printoutnyah*

Arfi Binsted said...

hahaha elu tuh ye!!!