May 04, 2007

Mum, We Eat A Snake!

When Bron announced about Wild Food event, I just didn't know what to do. I never eat snakes, but I have eaten a tiger's meat. Just a slice or two. I can't remember now. I didn't want it anymore when I found out it was a tiger's meat. It's like putting me on the opposite direction of being the predator. Yikes!
Anyway, after several chats with Bron, then I knew what to do. I planned this with my kids. We're going to make a snake and eat it! Ben went goggled and Sarah just didn't know what to say. Perhaps she doesn't even know what a snake is. There's no snake in New Zealand. They know snakes only when we went to the zoo and when they read books.
I baked two gluten-free cakes last night. I ran out of cocoa powder, so I made one white cake and one chocolate cake. The white cake is made from cornflour. Very spongy but lack of moisture as the moisture itself only derived from the eggs, but that's when you want to compare with sponge made from 10 eggs. It is very light as well, so we have to be careful to cut them. I cut the middle of each cake with a top of a lid and ran a sharp knife around it. Then I halved each cake. Arrange them to resemble a snake, with shaping a tail and a head.
When the table was ready, I covered it with a cake silver wrap I bought from a cake decorating supplier. I made the butter cream. I asked the children what color they want. They both said red. I wonder there's something genetic about red. John likes red. You can see our lounge and kitchen is painted Monarch red. Our rooftop, window frames, doors are painted red! However, I tinted a couple of Bordeaux wine red into the icing (it's from the Chef master). I should make it with Christmas red for making the snake red, but I don't have it, so Bordeaux wine red will do. That makes the snake bright pinkish and does not look scary whatsoever!

Then they started to ice. Here and there. Piled on top of each cake. The crumbs are traveling all over the cake. But that's alright, it's been good for a start. They will be disguised by the sprinkles. They just knew what to do.



The fun time began. Anything I can find in the pantry: M&M (this one is luckily found in a deep storage bin and apparently John couldn't find it!), sprinkles all sort, and silver balls.




Here is the snake!

And we eat it!!


Hope this will give you more ideas to enter Wild Food, hosted by the creative Bron. Check out her blog to find out more about it! There's still plenty of time to send you entry until the end of May.

Have fun!!!



13 comments:

Bron said...

That is one very SUPER snake!!
Thank you so very much for your WILD entry Ben, Sarah and Arfi! ... I love it!

Sylvie Gill said...

very creative !
awedome wild cakes that you like
i would love to stay in NZ - no snake. kaka cemara loves snake :(

Arfi Binsted said...

Bron-Cheers from the three of us!

Syl-come to see us here, tante!! lovely to see you here, syl.

Lia said...

wow snake cake, great but think twice to eat, hehehehehhe kidding :p

mba cantik banget si kecil pake kerudung :)

Brilynn said...

What a great idea! I'm sure the kids just love it!

Lis said...

What a fabulous idea! I love the snake.. you did a great job shaping it and the kids amazed me with their decorating! So cute! As are your kids.. how adorable! =)

Chris said...

How great is that!! I love the snake cake....:)

Glenna said...

I LOVE it! That's so fun. I think it's too cool that you got the kids involved. You made a snake but more than that, you made great memories with them.

Arfi Binsted said...

lia-hehehe... sarah doyan pake kerudung. ga tau deh entar kalo dah gede.

Brilynn-they certainly had fun!

Lis-hehehe... thanks. They often see me decorating birthday cakes, probably there's the start to take in. Thank you!

Chris-Thanks!!!

Glenna-Yes, that's what I want them to remember. Fun in the kitchen!! Thanks for dropping me a line!

Barbara said...

Great idea Arfi. I bet the children had fun.

Arfi Binsted said...

Barbara-They had fun and yes messy as well hehehe... welcome back, Barb.

Lia said...

hihihihhihi... ituh Jeng Sarah pake kerudung yak Pih? Lutjoooo... kekekeke... emaknya lagi iseng yak :))

Arfi Binsted said...

itu lagi abis dhuha trus mau dipake kerudungnya ya sudah, pake aja lah hehehe