June 18, 2007

Cook and Eat Meat Round-Up

If you are experiencing weakness, fatigue, dizzy, frequently out of breath, faint, feeling confusion, depression, insomnia, poor concentration, decreased appetite, irregular heartbeat, or having memory loss, you should not just ignore or think it should be over as soon as you take aspirin. My suggestion is don't leave it till you really weak. You should go see your doctor to have your blood sampled as these symptoms are likely having anemic signs.

Anemia, in which body tissues are deprived of oxygen, is caused by a reduction in th enumber of circulating red blood cells or by inadequate amounts of the essential protein hemoglobin. The severity can range from mild to life threatening. Anemia can occur if large amounts of blood are lost or if something interferes with the production of red blood cells or accelerates their destruction. Because hemoglobin is the main component of red blood cells and the carrier for oxygen molecules, anemia also occurs if the hemoglobin suppliy is insufficient or if the hemoglobin itself is dysfunctional.” [The Alternative Advisor: The Complete Guide to Natural Therapies & Alternative Treatments. Time-Life Books. Alexandria, Virginia. 1997]

Iron-rich food is taking a great role for a balanced diet. Meat as one of the iron-rich sources is believed to be absorbed quite easily by our body as meat contains of animal tissue which is similar to human's. Eating meat regulary in a moderate healthy diet will increase the iron-level for those who are suffering iron deficiency anemia. Iron deficiency is usually affected on women, especially those who are pregnant and those who are having heavy periods. This can also occur to us who have poor diets.

Iron loss in women is estimated to range between one-half and two miligrams a day, two to four times the amount that is needed by the average man who requires only about a milligram a day total. Moreover, during pregnancy the iron requirements are even higher for a woman since during the last four months of pregnancy a great deal of iron must go into building the blood volume of the infant. During these months, up to seven and a half milligrams a day are required.” [Diet & Nutrition: A Holistic Approach. Rudolph Ballentine, M.D. The Himalayan International Institute, Honesdale, Pennsylvania. 1978.]

Based on my own experience, I had had two pregnancies and I had to deal a great deal with iron deficiency as my iron level was dropped since the beginning of the trimester of my pregnancies. I had to work hard to increase my iron level up to the normal range because I resented meat. My midwives and caregivers advised me to take meat as the best iron-rich food source. I did it and I had had my home births safe without any excessive bleeding afterwards.

About two months ago, I suffered from iron deficiency anemia again which was dropped to point 8 (the normal point is 20-100), as I had not consume meat regularly. I am learning from this that it is important to keep lean red meat on the menu in order to keep the diet balanced as well as to balance the iron with other vitamins, minerals and proteins. To eat meat regularly, I have to take vitamin C as well which I can easily squeeze from fresh oranges. It is said that vitamin C (and also copper) helps our body to absorb iron. Up to now, I am feeling much better after taking meat regularly.

I also had to avoid coffee, tea and chocolate for quite some time until my iron point increases to the safe point. Caffeine inhibits iron absorption, as does the tannin in black tea. Decaffeinated drinks are also not safe for anemic people as they contain of acids and we don't want to get more problems than we've already had, do we? Orange juice is much better as it helps to promote iron absorption.

I don't feel like to shy away from meat anymore. As long as I eat it in a moderate diet together with handful of greens, good deal of grains or legumes, and fruit, then I will be alright. Plenty of daily exercise will help to organize good metabolism.

I am just hoping that through Cook and Eat Meat event, we will be always aware of iron deficiency anemia and to keep it on the safe point, eating meat is one of solutions. I am very delighted to receive a good bunch of responses from fellow bloggers and multipliers on this event. Therefore, I am thanking you all for participating on this event and are all very much appreciated!

Here is the round-up for a one-off event: Cook and Eat Meat.

Dhana Pawar of Fresh Kitchen and her friend who were never tired of inventing some good meals and she's sharing her Spicy Chicken Potlis. Great for those who love spices!

Lia of Spices-Corner heats up a beef dish with noodles. A classic Asian dish and it's pretty easy to follow.

My dearest friend Barbara of Winos and Foodies cooks up a hot pot for her boys [including Bryan] to heat the Winter-heading-season weather. Surely, this dish will warm up all her family. Thank you for the beef, Barb!

Ilva of Lucullian Delights takes part with her Hot Meatball Salad which was photographed beautifully. I would love to have a bowl, Ilva!

A fellow Indonesian blogger who lives in London, Ellen of Chicken Kitchen, dishes up traditional meal from Minahasa/Manado. She wraps up meatloaf with papaya leaves. She proves that Indonesia is rich of cultures and diversity which cannot be deleted permanently from her heart.

Chris of Mele Cotte has been a regular visitor of my blog and we've been exchanging news on each other's blog to keep in touch with. When I announced Cook and Eat Meat event, she told me her iron point was also dropped to 2, even lowest than mine. She was quite happy to share her two recipes eventhough she was away from home. Anyone could want her Panchetta Cheese Bunless Burger or her Simple Burger.

Lynn of Wibby Bunny shares with us her Beer Braised Beef Brisket. This should be able to warm up a chilly Winter night. I cannot even think of anything cool at the moment but fireplace, woolly jumper, warm slippers or boots, stew or soup, and a good homemade bread.

I was so excited to see Anh of Anh's Food Blog is taking part on this event. I have found some interesting recipes in her blog. For this event, she is very happy to share her Art of Slow Cooking. What else than the flavoursome and tender meat in one pot can be compared with fast food? I am a slow cooker myself and I'd love to try her recipe!

The famous Tigerfish is a slow cooker as well! Today Tigerfish cooks up Slow Cooked Pork Ribs with Salted Soy. I was a bit surprised to see salted soy is used here as we often use it in Indonesian cuisine. Interesting dish!

My fellow Indonesian multiplier, Etie, who is also affected by iron deficiency anemia, is taking part on this event and cooks up Soto Padang (Padang Beef Soup with Spices and Herbs). Padang is a capital city of West Sumatra and is well-known with its spicy and delicious food. There's no place in Indonesia without Padang Restaurant/Warung nationwide. It's so popular.

The lovely and young lady Amrita of Le Petite Boulanger serves Greek Pastitsio. Now, I've seen this as another meal I can serve at a Winter table lunch someday. My kids will go 'Wow, look what Mummy got!”. Great recipe, Amrita. Visit her blog to see the picture of the yummy Greek Pastitsio!

Megan of What's Cooking in Canada is serving Steak Sandwiches which I think is great packed for lunch. I was interested in meat consciousness she was thinking about. It's a bit sad really to see how people treat their beef. I am pretty much happy with New Zealand beef, which are grazed in open paddocks and get a lot of sunlight, unlike those in some countries, cows, bulls, calves, sheep, or buffalos are crammed in one shed which they can hardly moved! But it does not mean we cannot eat meat. Organic beef might be a solution in some troubled countries.

There is a very simple dish like Green Asparagus with Bacon Sauce served with Savoury Crepes which is cooked up by the beautiful Mindy of Der Weg ist das Ziel can be a briliant idea. It's great for those who are busy but still are care of a good meal!

Another fellow multiplier Esti who loves Italian food but now cooks up her Mother-in-law recipe Ani's Shepherd Pie which is pretty much English, don't you think? I should try making shepherd pie with pumpkin like she does. That'll be interesting flavour going on in one shell! Yum!

David of Cooking Chat joins up with his Zesty Steak Sauce for Grilling. Gives more ideas, especially to those who are celebrating Summer time in some parts of the world! Thank you, David.

Helen of Beyond Salmon is revisiting her steak moment which I think the method she's decided to use works really well on the steak. The steak looks gorgeous!! Hop on to see her Slow-roast-then-sear method based on Cook's Illustrated May-June 2007 issue on her blog. Great job, Helen!

Another NZ fellow blogger, an old favourite, the lovely Emma of Laughing Gastronome, is cooking Cassoulet for me. She's pretty luckyshe's never affected to iron deficiency anemia, whatsoever!

Gilli of So So Simple is taking part and serving Sauteed Chicken Liver for luncheon with her friends. What a treat, Gilli! I'd love to be one of the bunch.

Mbak Esti of Tulisan Esti had sent me this recipe but because the file could not be opened on my computer, I postponed it until she posted it on her blog. Here it is, Terik Daging! YAY!

There's also a traditional recipe my fellow senior multiplier, Mrs. Elly Tjan, in Canada written on my reply box which I can't paste in here. You can see it in here, if you'd like.

My own contributions can be seen here, here, here.

Thanks once again, everyone. And keep up the good healthy lifestyle!


Barbara said...

Well done Arfi. A great event and well supported with lots of great meat ideas.

Emma said...

Great effort Arfi! Meat, meat, meat, what a choice!

Arfi Binsted said...

thanks, barb! won't be done well without great participants here.

Arfi Binsted said...

emma, thanks for the cassoulet!

Mrs. Baasje said...

Congrats for the event sooner than expected( 21 june?)
It would be nice if you can revised a bit of my food from Minahasa/manado North Sulawesi not from Celebes South Sulawesi.

Always happy to participate !

Arfi Binsted said...

ellen, the sooner the better. ooopppsss i'll revise it right away. sorry. thanks for correcting this.

Ilva said...

Thanks for a great roundup and all these great meaty recipes! A great initiative!

MiNDY said...

Well done mBa! can't wait for the next event and hopefully I can participate again. definetely will try those great recipes. thank you so much!

Megan said...

What a great round up! We do have some weird ideas about meat here - only because it isn't seen as politically correct to wave the banner in favour of meat. My peers think that me running around and saying "Eat Meat!" is something I do only to offend the vegetarians.

This is a great event, Arfi - thanks for hosting.

Chris said...

Arfi, this is fabulous! Thanks for doing this. I am in Hungary at the moment and these recipes are making me....hungry! :) See you all when I get back.

David said...

some good stuff here! thanks.

Dhana said...

Great roundup Arfi!!

Arfi Binsted said...

thanking you all this won't happen without your participating on the event. after all these recipes are all yours! cheers!