July 23, 2007

Baby Pecan Pies



I don't know if someone would notice that I made these pies myself when they were served on Sarah's birthday lunch last Sunday. I don't even remember if anyone ate them. Ben and Sarah did, but the adults just adored the fruit cheese. Did I make too much goodies, do you think?

I often guess what people might like and what other people might not enjoy. It is a game of taste and personal preferences, so who would know? Making various things what I THINK will be enjoyed by everyone is one thing I do. On one occasion, I can end up making batches of any possible things people will like to nibble, but I always make sure there are varieties playing on the table.

Goodies that I made for desserts was gluten-free chocolate almond torte as to serve my sis-in-law for she is a Coeliac, and for after-lunch coffee was ginger slice, baby pecan pies, and meringue (this my sis-in-law can also eat). Barbara made macha green-tea cookies as the addition, so there are various of goodies. In the end, when we were having coffee, everyone was so full there's no more room for other goodies.

Anyway, these pies are great to be packed in lunch box. Sarah always thinks they are mini muffins, so be it.

Source: All Things Nice with Jo Seagar. Random House New Zealand Ltd. 2002.

125g butter,
1 cup flour,
½ cup Chelsea icing sugar,
1 cup pecans,
60g butter, melted,
1 egg,
1 cup Chelsea soft brown sugar,
1 tsp vanilla essence

Place the first measurement of butter with the flour and icing sugar in a food processor and mix until the pastry forms a ball. Divide into 16 pieces and press each into the base and up the sides of a non-stick (or well-greased) mini muffin tin. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Divide the pecans between the chilled pastry cases, breaking the nuts as required.

Mix the melted butter, egg, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth and 'gluey' and spoon or pour carefully over the nuts. Do not overfill.

Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes. Lift the pies from the tin and cool on a wire rack.

In Bahasa Indonesia

Kami merayakan ultah Sarah yang ke-3 hari Minggu kemaren. Sebetulnya hari ultahnya sendiri tanggal 25 Juli nanti, tapi ya dirayakan sebelumnya karena pada hari Rabu itu Sarah dan Ben akan merayakannya di sekolah. Ini salah satu after-lunch nibble yang saya sajikan di hari Minggu kemaren.

Baby Pecan Pies

Sumber: All Things Nice with Jo Seagar. Random House New Zealand Ltd. 2002.

125 mentega,
1 cup tepung terigu,
½ cup icing sugar,
1 cup pecans,
60g mentega, lelehkan,
1 btr telur,
1 cup soft brown sugar,
1 sdt esens vanila

Masukkan 125g mentega, tepung dan icing sugar ke dalam food processor dan campur hingga rata dan membentuk bulatan adonan. Bagi menjadi 16 bagian lalu tekan-tekan di dasar dan sisi-sisi loyang muffin mini yang non-stick atau sudah diolesi mentega. Sisihkan ke dalam kulkas selama kurleb 30 menit.

Bagi-bagi dan masukkan pecans ke dalam pastry case, hancurkan pecans jika perlu.

Campur mentega leleh, telur, brown sugar, dan vanila sampai rata, lembut dan kental, lalu sendokkan ke atas pecans. Jangan isi terlalu banyak (bisa tumpah keluar dari pastry case-nya jika terlalu penuh).

Panggang dengan suhu 180C selama 20-25 menit. Angkat pies dari loyang dan dinginkan di atas rak.



12 comments:

Barbara said...

It was a lovely lunch Arfi. I think Bryan enjoyed a pecan tart. I was so full after the special chocolate pot you made just for me. I didn't have any dinner last night.

elyani said...

Arfi, I wish I have you as my neighbor *smiles*. As an endometriosis sufferer I have a lot of food lists to avoid or limit, this includes breads, cakes, pasta products, coffee, red meats, sugar in whatever form. Goodness gracious I can't change myself to be a monkey if I were to change my healthy diet. You're so kind to always think what your guest can or cannot eat.

Anh said...

These pies are so cute! I love any baby or mini size dessert. making me feel less guily and enjoy the whole flavours in one bite!

Arfi Binsted said...

barbara: i thought everyone else was enjoying the fruit cheese to my surprise. if i know bryan likes pecans pie, then i would've showed him hehehe... i thought he was full, too.

elyani: i think that's what so called: a host. you know, you invite people and you've got to check their backgrounds, so everyone will enjoy the event with the meals safely served for her/him. i just think it is wise. i'm so sorry to hear you're limiting yourself to some certain of food. that will be hard. keep strong!

anh: that's one of the reasons!!

Deborah said...

I think these are adorable! I love anything that is bite-sized.

Callipygia said...

You sound like such a gracious host- the spread unbelievable, these baby tarts tantalizing. I'm with you that these are the perfect size for popping and the recipe sounds so easy too!

Chris said...

I love these babies! I could take the tray and park myself by a tree and eat!

BTW - I haven't forgotten about your lovely nomination...Want to get mine right...and not repeat yours, so I have been "noodling" on it.

Lia said...

aku nyomot satu ya mba enakkkkkk bgt nih :) mba nyetak kecil kecil gitu gimana caranya? really interesting :)

Arfi Binsted said...

deborah: me too!!

callipygia: hello! thanks for your kind words.

chris: not sure what you mean. i haven't had any list for the next 5 people yet. i'm not really good at blogwalking. i've got little time. sigh.

lia: kan udah dibilang di resep, nyetak pake loyang muffin mini. hayooo baca lagiiii...

brunosdream said...

Arfi,

The mini pecan pies were cute and it sounds as though they were a big success w/ your guests! Quite a selection of goodies you served.

Bruno

P.S. - I don't know if you're aware that I no longer post on Zinfully Delicious. My new blog is brunosdream.com

christine said...

Wow, these look wonderful Arfi! I love pecan pies. BTW, I read your post about Bali, specifically Ubud. I just recently came from my first visit there and I fell in love with the place! (I posted all about it too in my blog if you're interested to read it) You have a lovely country. :)

Arfi Binsted said...

bruno: i'll change the link soon!!

christine: what a lovely news! i am so thrilled you enjoyed bali! if ever you wrote me earlier, i could have given you Janet de Neefe's address. she's an Australian who's married to a balinese and the author of Fragrant Rice.