July 19, 2007

Tamarillo Chutney


I was first introduced with tamarillo chutney when Mum brought jars of them for my hubby. He was enjoying them and I said to myself that I should try to make it. First attempt was three years ago and it was only a small batch, but then since it's very popular to the family, including to my children, the batch is growing larger, around 11 to 20 jars a year, especially when Mum still is having tams in her garden in the end of the season. I have tried to make jam out of tams, but I prefer to enjoy them as chutney.

Yesterday, I made another 11 jars and soon will make more, just in case we're running out of them when the season's finished. Furthermore, it is always great to give away some jars to some friends.

This is the family's recipe handed over for years, and I am quite happy to share it with you. There's some of the ingredients I have improvised, such as using a few cloves of garlic and cayenne pepper.

Mum's Tamarillo Chutney [modified]

30-50 tamarillos, cleaned and trimmed,
1kg brown sugar,
1 cup malt vinegar,
4 cloves garlic (my modified recipe),
4 Granny Smiths,
3 brown onions,
cayenne pepper,
salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Soak tams in a boiling water, then peel (when the water is quite safe for your hands). Put them in the food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan. Chopped the brown onions and apples in large chunks and process them in the food processor until smooth. Pour into the saucepan. Mix all the rest of ingredients, stir well and cook in a medium heat until bubbly and thicken. Correct the seasoning. Pour into hot sterilized jars and sealed. Makes 11-13 various jars.



7 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow - I bet this is fabulous!

charlotte said...

oh that tamarillo chutney looks so divine!

I'm setting up a directory of NZ blogs and I would love to include your site. It would be great if you could email me if you're interested.

hello@lovelyblogs.co.nz

Thank you so much - and this isn't spam :)

Arfi Binsted said...

deborah: it's popular in my family hehehe...

charlotte: thank you and i've written to you as well.

Alex e Mari said...

Hi, this chutney must me delicious with cheeses. I made a tart with tamarillos and it was really good... very different actually! In Italy tamarillos are difficult to find , so I am not used to them, but since I am here in NZ I tried them several times... thanks for the suggestion! I love chutneys!
ciao
MARINA

Joanna said...

That looks wonderful - there's nothing like homemade chutney from home grown produce. I've never tasted a tamarillo, so can't imagine what it would be like ...

Anh said...

tamarillo chutney, I would love to try it out! But I think tamarillo is quite expensive here... Hm, I would love to visit you some day for this! ;)

Arfi Binsted said...

Marina: I haven't tried eating chutney with cheeses, but we usually spread the chutney on top of pasta bake or omelet. I don't know if these fruits are quite exclusive, whereas at Mum and Dad's garden, they are just dropping on the ground and eaten by possums or peacocks. Come and visit us at the farm sometimes, Marina!

Joanna: I have tasted two different tams so far: the red-purple skins are sour and mostly made for preserves or poached, and the yellow-orange skins are just great eaten raw as they are sweet!

Anh: make way for it, anh! Would love to meet you in person!