August 29, 2007

Fruit Cake for Daffodil Day




Having known Barbara and get acquaintances with Chris, who both are affected by cancer, either in the past or still at present, gives me enormous feeling over what humans call 'survived'. Reading all the posts from Cooking to Combat Cancer hosted by Chris of Mele Cotte, and Taste of Yellow hosted by Barbara of Winos and Foodies makes me realize that there are many others who are still suffering and fighting their lives, which I believe will require strong will to live and alive. Somehow I am amazed by their fights, these people are stronger than we can imagine.

I used to be one of them, probably I can call myself a survivor. My suffering period was shorter though than other fellows who should be under surgeries and post-surgery treatments for many times in their lives. I just had had it once, and that I felt already like that's it, no more. I am sure none of us would want to carry this disease, not even when it is already there in your body. Oh, with these words and hugs for all of you, my dear fellow bloggers: dont't give up!

31 August is Daffodil Day , a day of cancer awareness throughout New Zealand. With daffodils springing out on the paddocks, we are likely to be reminded that there are many people still suffering and fighting off cancer in their lives. Many fund-raising events are taking place. National Bank is the proud sponsor for supporting the Cancer Society and in Tuakau, where I live, they will have Cake Stalls and Sausage Sizzle (raffle tickets are already available now) on the very day at 7 George Street. I am going to donate my iced cupcakes to the bank on Friday morning. If you want to contribute, you can donate here (remember, every dollar counts!), or go to any fund-raising events Cancer Society and National Bank hold in your area, or another option is: buy my cupcakes!

I'll see you there!

Meanwhile, here's the menu today.

Big Fruit Cake

This fruit cake is enriched with chopped dark chocolate, which is adapted from the funky British chef Gary Rhodes. I have seen his creations on Sugarcraft Magazines. Fantastic!

Source: Taste Magazine. October 2006.

160g currants,
160g sultanas,
50g glace cherries, chopped,
finely grated zest and juice 2 lemons,
3 Tbs brandy,
200g plain flour,
1 tsp baking powder,
¼ tsp ground cinnamon,
½ tsp mixed spice,
pinch salt,
175g butter, softened,
175g caster sugar,
3 large eggs, beaten together,
2 Tbs ground almonds,
100g dark unsweetened chocolate, cut into small cubes,
100ml milk,
70g blanched almond for the top (I didn't use)


Line sides and base of a 20cm cake tin with baking paper. Put dried fruit and glace cherries in a bowl with the lemon zest, lemon juice and brandy, stir well, cover and leave to soften for 1 hour (or up to 12 hours) (I left them overnight, without brandy).

Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt together on a piece of paper.

Put butter in bowl of cake mixer and beat until loose. With machine running, add sugar, a little at a time. Whisk until it is pale in color and like thick cream. Whisk in eggs a little at a time, adding a tablespoon or two of the sifted flour mix to keep the mixture stable.

Fold in remaining sifted dry ingredients, ground almonds, dried and glace fruit with all the juices and the chocolate. Mix in milk. Spoon cake mix into the tin, smooth top. Scatter almond on top or make into a pattern.

Bake for 1 ½ hours in an oven preheated to 170C. Protect the top of the cake with tin foil after the first hour. An inserted skewer should come out clean when the cake is done. Cool in the tin, then, keeping it in its baking paper, wrap in greaseproof paper. Store in an airtight container (uncut, the cake will keep well for a few weeks. Once cut, it will dry out in several days). Serves 20.



8 comments:

Lia said...

delicious! am going to baked fruit cake soon ;)

Anh said...

Arfi, as always, your words touch my heart. Great post! *hug*

Barbara said...

That looks wonderful Arfi. The Cancer Society people are just the best. Very worthy of our support. I always give my donation via phone.

Deborah said...

I have never had a fruit cake before. This looks wonderful!

Scribacchini said...

From Italy : You are my choice on Blog Day
http://cuochidicarta.blogspot.com/2007/08/blog-day-2007.html
Kat

Arfi Binsted said...

lia: great!! have fun!

anh: hugs!!

barbara: good on you, Barb.

deborah: have a try, deborah! you'll love it!

scribacchini: oh, thanks so much!!

Scribacchini said...

Dear Arfi, sorry for forgetting to translate. In Italy, it was late tonight or early in the morning ;-)The post says the 3 of us ( Scribacchini, which means scriblers, are 3 friends) choose two blogs each.
My first choice is : Arfi, indonesian living in New Zeland who cooks gorgeous things and also makes very beautiful pictures (link to Homemades and to Through my lens).
Un abbraccio, which means hugs.
Kat

Arfi Binsted said...

Kat: thanks so much, once again for translating it for me. Cheers!