August 03, 2007

Lemon Curd Cheesecake

Wednesday and Thursday mornings are the days I am going to be at Ben and Sarah's local pre-school. Unlike the other mothers who drop-in-and-go, I have to stay until my children get used to their surrounding. We have to be going back to square one as to assist my children to adjust in their school. As their immune systems are developing and improving, they can attend the school until today, to my delight.

They could only come twice a term last year because they were prone to viral air it might be circulating at school and would then be infected which the worst part was that they would not get better for the whole tiring months afterwards. Consequently, they were drawn back from the other children and never are used to being with them or other parents, and that makes them so timid, especially to those they just have just met. So, yeah I have to stay with them this term, and hopefully will be permitted to go back home while they were having fun with their teachers and friends at school. Finger crossed.

The joy that I feel is that I am quite happy to bake some goodies for morning tea to share with the teachers or parents who were on parent help duties. I have known the teachers since I took the Te Reo (Maori language) class last year, so I am no stranger to them and neither are they to me.

After the carrot cake I made for Sarah's birthday, I baked this lemon curd cheesecake to bring to school. One thing about lemon curd, I remember Barbara had made me a jar of lemon curd on one of our lunch dates last year, as long as I remember. She said she had to scrub the wax off the lemons because they came from a market and she was afraid that the pesticide will still be on the skin. Such an effort, Barb and very much appreciated!

Our lemon trees are always giving plenty fruits which I can use and enjoy all-year round. One of the trees was just planted last year at the backyard, and I just could not believe it myself to see that tiny shrub is bearing so many fruits! The lemon skins are bright yellow and smooth, unlike its 'ancestor' which we're inherited from the previous owner the fruits are much bigger with wavy skin. Perhaps the location was not as open as the tiny shrub is, or perhaps it comes from a different variety.

Anyway, I don't think I need to scrub off the wax as ours are pesticide-free, and the clean wash will do. I usually make lemon curd as a spread on my toasts (or on the sourdough English Muffins) or spread them on to the cheesecake. However, I made this cheesecake using lemon curd mixed with the cheese and cream. That would probably will make this cheesecake tastes more lemony. I don't use much sugar because I rely on the lemon curd to sweeten the cream mixture.

Lemon Curd Cheesecake

I usually make a jar of lemon curd to be finished in a week, if not is used for making this cheesecake. I don't really like to have too eggy curd, so I don't use many eggs. This cheesecake tastes tangy and lemony.

6 lemons, wash, grate the skin and squeeze out the juice,
4 eggs, whisk lightly,
1-2 cups white sugar,
pinch of salt,
50g unsalted butter

Put the lemon juice, grated lemon rind (zest), pinch of salt, butter and half measure of white sugar in a saucepan on a low heat until the butter and sugar are dissolved. Stir well. Whisk together the eggs with the remaining sugar until well combined and pour in the hot sugar syrup, stir well. Put the mixture back into the saucepan and cook until the mixture is thicken (which coats the back of the spoon). Pour into a sterilized jar.

Biscuit base:
Mix 250g digestive biscuits, 1 tsp cinnamon, 100g melted unsalted butter, and 1 Tbs milk in a food processor until well combined, and press on to a 20cm cake tin. Chill for 30 minutes or until it's firm.

250g cream cheese,
250ml thickened cream,
1 Tbs grated lemon rind,
1 cup lemon curd,
2 Tbs caster sugar,
3 eggs

Beat the cream cheese and thickened cream together until smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Pour into the chilled biscuit base and bake in a preheated oven, 160C, until cooked for 45-60 minutes, according to how hot your oven is. Remove from the oven and let cool. Spread with the remaining lemon curd on top of the cheesecake and chill for 4 hours or overnight.


Anh said...

This is lovely! I will make it sometime soon.... :)

elyani said...

I want some cheesecake now! Nyum Nyum Nyum Nyum Nyum!

Lia said...

yakin pasti rasanya segerrrrrrr bangetm mauuu :)

Sarah said...

Oooh, this looks great! Yummy! I've added you to my blogroll too if you don't mind!

mae said...

Mbak, aku mampir en liat2 posting lama, menarik skali !
Oya pengen deh nanam pohon lemon, tp apa tanah dan udara disby cocok ya ? lagian bibitnya nyari dimana, susyeh bo ! mana lemonnya sdr mahal diIndo...
I'm sooooo enjoying to read all your stories written here... I wish I could see New Zealand once in my life !
Keeps Happy mbak !

Arfi Binsted said...

Goodness me, I haven't replied all of these comments? Apologize, pls.

thanks anyway to all of you who've read and paid some time to write.