September 20, 2007

Friendship Cake

I have been using my sourdough starter every now and then. It's just like digging out a treasure which lasts so long, unless I forget to feed it, I probably won't be able to use it continuously. The friendship starter itself is the sweet version of sourdough which is the mixture of milk, flour, yeast and sugar/honey. I am using the traditional sourdough starter to start my friendship starter. Now, I am waiting for a friend to pick up the remaining starter I have started, to pass this friendship and the joy of baking.

This is my entry for SHF#35 Beautiful Figs hosted by Ivonne of Cream Puffs in Venice.

Friendship Cake
Source: The King Arthur Flour. 200th Anniversary Cookbook. p. 544-546.
The starter (using traditional starter)
1 cup traditional sourdough starter (see my post for sourdough English Muffins),
1 cup milk,
1 cup sugar,
1 cup flour

Combine all the ingredients in a glass, ceramic, or earthenware bowl. Leave it for at least 24 hours. (Mine is working for 34 hours).

The Friendship Cake

I add dried figs, chopped walnuts, and lemon zest to the batter. Dust with the icing sugar, this cake is really good for morning/afternoon tea. Just an idea: possibly baked this friendship cake to your new neighbour. Who knows you can be friends after sharing this exceptional cake!
2/3 cup vegetable oil,
1 cup sugar,
3 eggs,
2 tsp vanilla (I use 1 tsp vanilla bean paste),
2 cups Friendship Starter,
1 ½-2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour,
1 ½ tsp cinnamon,
¼ tsp nutmeg,
1 ½ tsp baking soda,
2 tsp baking powder,
½ tsp salt,

I add 1 ½ cup chopped dried figs, ½ cup chopped walnuts, and zest of 2 lemons
Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla (and lemon zest) and beat until light. Add the starter, beat again until smooth. Fold in the dry ingredients (and the dried figs and walnuts), mix to combine well. Spoon into the greased (and floured) ring tin (or bundt pan). Bake for 40-45 minutes.


Ivonne said...

What a beautiful treasure, indeed! And who wouldn't want to be friends after being offered a cake like this.

Thanks so much for taking part in SHF #35!

Arfi Binsted said...

Ivonne, it is a treasure! Until today, I'm still waiting for a friend who's willing to be passed on hehehe not so many people are fond of baking. however, it's there when one needs it.

eliza said...

it's indeed a lovely cake, you bake a lot these days, wonder who eat all of them? ;P