September 02, 2007

Gluten Free Blog Event: In Honour of Bette Hagman

I don't know if you're familiar with gluten-free products, but there are many alternative flours we can actually use to substitute wheat and such. In Indonesia, we use mostly rice flour, sticky rice flour, or sticky black rice for producing traditional sweets or desserts. Here, I've got information about a number of various flours that we can use to substitute wheat flour, including chickpea flour (besan), quinoa, soy flour, to name a few.

Healtheries is the famous brand in New Zealand which manufactures a range of gluten-free products, including Simple Baking Mix, a gluten-free flour mix -for a mother like me whose children are having food-intolerance and eczema- finds it handy. In several occasions, it is still hard to replace a good flavour of sourdough with gluten-free bread. It is not the same, though the gluten-free products are the safer alternatives.

We discovered that my son had eczema just a few weeks after he was born. With red immflamation on his cheeks, forehead, and on the back of his knees, he was quite miserable. Our doctor suggested to watch what I ate because I was still breastfeeding and it's the only source of life he would get from. Then I started to watch what I ate and watch the reaction on his skin. Eventually, we found out the things I mostly adored are actually not good things for him. So I had to stop eating any cocoa products (this was the most difficult job in the world for me), no coffee or black tea (then I used to drink Raspberry Leaf tea) and of course, no wheat products. I had to keep doing it for another 3 years, for I was taking tandem-breastfeeding program. When I stopped breastfeeding a year ago, I was surprised myself that my body can't really handle the strong coffee and chocolate as much as I took before. Until today, I only can drink a cup of coffee a day and a tiny amount of chocolate. Sometimes, I have to not have them for I would let myself ill. Well, I guess having children can change your life, don't you think?

Anyway, Seamaiden of Book of Yum invited us to blog about gluten-free goddess Bette Hagman in the honour of her works producing gluten-free recipes over the years. I have been exchanging emails with Sea regarding this Gluten-Free Blog Event: In Honour of Bette Hagman and she offered me to send an entry although I am living miles away from where she lives and has no idea about Bette Hagman (where was I when she'd done her great works?). I do appreciate her welcome and friendly approach.

This is my entry for Gluten-Free Blog event: In Honour of Bette Hagman. And Bette, my cinerarias are flowering and they are for you, for your great works. Rest in Peace.

Berry Muffins

Source: Healtheries Simple Baking Mix (Wheat and Gluten Free)

1 ½ cups Healtheries Simple Baking Mix,
2 tsp baking powder,
½ cup sugar,
¾ cup fresh or frozen berries,
½ cup milk,
2 Tbs vegetable oil (I used Rice Bran Oil),
1 egg,
½ tsp vanilla essence

Preheat oven to 200C. Grease 8 medium muffin tins. Combine Simple Baking mix, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Add berries and toss lightly to coat. In another bowl add milk, oil, egg, vanilla essence and whisk. Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and mix lightly until ingredients are just combined. Spoon into prepared muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes. Stand muffins for 5 minutes before removing from tins.


Barbara said...

Arfi I can see you are really enjoying your new camera. Lovely little cakes too. My sister eats gluten free.

Chris said...

Yum! Great post! My sister tries to cook with Gluten Free products b/c of my nieces allergies. I have to tell her about your muffins! yummmmy!

Arfi Binsted said...

Barbara: I do enjoy my camera, Barb as you know hehehe... But we have no bees recently. A bit worried because we need them to pollinate the blossoms.

Chris: It's not a sad thing anymore now when our children get sick of food intolerance. There are many products available you can always buy. I am so relief NZ provides such products nationwide.

Andaliman said...

Ahhh the pictures are really beautiful. I love them

Sea said...

I've posted the roundup at
if you'd like to see the other entries (and your own, of course!)

Thanks for the beautiful entry. :)

-sea of book of yum