September 10, 2007

Moroccan Honey & Mint Syrup Cake

It's a lovely day today. There was a little bit of light shower before, but now the sun is shining bright. I saw that my spearmints are sprouting newish and fresh leaves. So fresh I could only think to make either mint sauce or use it for baking. I was browsing old magazines and I found this recipe. I was surprised to find out how lovely the flavour turns the ordinary cake into something beautiful. It is a moist cake, poured with the syrup and topped with sliced almonds. Lovely lovely cake.

[Revised: I am new to Weekend Herb Blogging, originated hosted by Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen, an event to discussing, cooking/baking about herbs (Thank you, Kalyn, your prompt response is highly appreciated!). I love herbs and as I plant my own herbs, I'd love to participate. I've missed the previous event hosted by Katie of Thyme for Cooking This is my first entry of WHB #100, hosted by Katerina of Daily Unadventures in Cooking.]

Morrocan Honey and Mint Syrup Cake

Moroccan Honey & Mint Syrup Cake

Source: Dean Brettschneider & Lauraine Jacobs. Cuisine. Issue 110 May 2005.

Cake Batter

160g butter, softened,
310g sugar (I used 200g sugar),
1 ½ tsp dried or fresh chopped mint (I prefer fresh),
6 eggs,
230g desiccated coconut,
210g self-raising flour (Baker's note: ensure that your self-raising flour is as fresh as possible—you can make your own self-raising flour by measuring 250g plain flour and 15g baking powder, sieve well at least 7 times)

Preheat the oven to 150C. Beat the butter, sugar and mint until they begin to change colour (Baker's note: don't cream the butter and sugar until they light and fluffy, as this will result in an open and light-textured cake. This is a dense, hearty cake.). Add small quantities of the egg, coconut and flour, beating well between each addition to prevent the mixture from curdling. Repeat until you have used these ingredients up.

Line a lightly greased spring-release cake tin (20cm) with baking paper. Pour the batter in. bake for 1-1 ½ hours (you can make the mint syrup during this time). Check the cake is baked by inserting a skewer in the centre. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes.

Mint Syrup

Baker's note: prepare the mint syrup in advance and allow to cool before using. This will enhance the mint flavour.

200mls water,
180g sugar,
1 ½ cups coarsely chopped fresh mint

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally to ensure the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 30-45 minutes. Strain through a sieve and discard the mint leaves. Use the syrup as directed.

To assemble

Baker's notes: Make the honey and almond topping when you need it. The topping must be warm when you spread it on top of the cake. When the cake is in the oven for the second time, avoid burning the topping.

75g butter,
180g honey,
180g flaked almonds

Preheat the oven to 170C. With the cake still in the tin, prick 60-70 holes in the top. Pour the mint syrup evenly over the cake, allowing it to soak in.

Place the butter, honey and almonds in a saucepan and melt them together, stirring until all are well combined. Do not allow to boil. Remove from the heat and immediately spread this topping on the cake.

Place the cake back in the oven and bake the topping to a light amber colour (about 15 minutes). Remove and allow to cool in the tin for 20-30 minutes. Take the cake out of the tin carefully and while it is still warm, gently remove the baking paper. Dust the cake with icing sugar before serving.


Kalyn said...

Hi Arfi,
I saw your note about WHB. Anyone is welcome to participate. The only requirement is that you mention Weekend Herb Blogging in your post with a link to the host for that week. This post looks like it would be perfect to start. Here is where to find out who is hosting every week, and welcome!

And your blog is new to me, but it seems great!

Brilynn said...

Mint and honey pair so well together, I'm sure this was fabulous!

Peabody said...

That looks sooo moist!

Arfi Binsted said...

kalyn: thank you for the prompt reply.

brylinn: it's delicious!

peabody: yes, taste does so.

Matin Toothfairyrecipes said...

Arfi the cake looks wonderful. I wish I could bake like that. Will try it soon. Thanks for sharing and also sorry about your auntie.
X Matin

Arfi Binsted said...

X Matin: thanks so much for your sending the condolences. And this cake isn't so difficult to make. I know you can do it! Have fun!

katiez said...

What a lovely cake! I saw your comment about growing herbs - now I can watch someone's herb garden flourish as mine goes dormant for fun!
I might be able to get some mint syrup yet this fall...

Happy cook said...

Wonderful cake.
I would like to make this cake, can i use orange juice than mint for making syrup as my daughter doesn't like the mint taste.

Catherine said...

I made this cake for a dinner party and it was a huge hit. I loved making it and it's not too difficult. The mint syrup is so good I've made a few batches of it to use for other purposes. I have a lot of mint growing so it's a great way to use it.
Thanks for this great recipe