October 21, 2007

Chicken and Leek Pie

After the loss of my father-in-law, I still am feeling the sadness atmosphere in the family, including my kids. They don't know how to express their loss, so they sort of acting their own way (which sometimes is disagreeable. Sigh.).

And I am still getting the sinusitis, and hopefully it is over soon. The augmentin tablets I got are really upset my stomach, and unfortunately, taking them is the only way to help get rid of sinusitis. I don't have a good appetite during this taking-tablets-periode. Whatever I ate will only upset my stomach. Everything is tasteless. I thought that soup is the only remedy for this uncomfortable disease, so I made a good batch of vegetable soup and bakso for a couple of days, re-fridged and reheated. I found out that adding sambal oelek or hot chili sauce in the soup is a help for me to eat all up (I finally can taste the heat! That's a good sign, isn't it?)

However, I am still doing the cooking and baking, although I only do regular ones and not all my best, pretty much every day. A task which I can't avoid. I love serving hot food for the family. As we're still having miserable weather down here, hot food is somehow a comfort meal for everybody, I suppose.

This is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted this week by Pille of Nami Nami. You can check out Kalyn's Blog for more information about Weekend Herb Blogging.

Chicken and Leek Pie

I have some leftover chicken breasts, about a cup. I thought making pie is an easy way to keep survive, don't you think? We like eating pie like this with lettuce salad and home-made tamarillo chutney.

1 quantity shortcrust pastry,
1 cup cooked chicken breast, shredded,
2 leeks, sliced,
4 button mushrooms, chopped,
1 onion, chopped,
3 cloves garlic, minced,
5 eggs,
1 Tbs cream,
freshly cracked sea salt and black pepper,
oil for cooking,
grated cheese to sprinkle

Heat the oil. Brown the onion, add in the minced garlic. Add in the chopped mushrooms, then the sliced leeks. Sautee until leeks are becoming soft but still crunchy. Remove from the stove and set aside. Whisk the eggs with the cream. Fold in the vegetables and chicken, season. Mix until combined. Pour into the prepared and cooked pastry pie case. Sprinkle with cheese (If you can eat enormous number of cheese, you can mix the grated cheese in the egg mixture and/or sprinkle on the batter). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked.


Anh said...

Arfi, what a meal! I would love to try this... Yum!

Pille said...

Thank you very much for your lovely WHB entry, Arfi! Hope you'll feeling better soon!

Deborah said...

I hope you are feeling better soon!! This pie looks delicious!

Kalyn said...

It does take a very long to come to closure about a loss like this, and being sick on top of it must be hard! I think kids especially have a hard time, now knowing how to express it. How lucky they are that you're making delicious things like this to eat. I do think food can give a small bit of comfort when you're feeling so bad.

katiez said...

So sorry you're all a bit under the weather - physically and emotionally... but the pie looks to be a big help! Hot chicken pie - very comforting, indeed.

Nabeela said...

I hope you get well soon!

Arfi Binsted said...

anh: please do. and the flavour is mild.

Pille: my pleasure, Pille. Thank you for the sympathy.

Deborah: Thanks, Deborah. I am feeling better now. Still have to take augmentin tablets for another two days, then that's it. I'm so over it!

Kalyn: That's true, Kalyn. This loss is pretty hard to forget. The kids are still speaking about their grandfather, but their behaviour is quite different now. I say they've improved. Thank God.

Katie: It's warming up this morning but now it's gray again. Sigh. However, Summer is just around the corner.

Nabeela: Thank you.

Bruno said...


My condolensces on the loss of your father-in-law.

The pie looks beautiful!