October 24, 2007

A Slice of Cake and A Cup of Coffee

a slice of cake and a cup of coffee


One of these days, I've slumbered so much I can't even bother about sitting in front of the computer at night. This, of course, gives me a consequence not to know what's been happening on some friends' posts and foodie events taken place all over the world. Until two days ago, I made to look up at IMBB and found some interesting events I'd love to participate, alas, I am still disorganized. I am hoping when I feel much better, I can participate more.



Andrew has sent us an invitation to make a layered cake for Waiter event and I thought I shall be occupied myself in the kitchen and be enjoying putting things together, so I decided to make one.
The cake is chocolate sponge which sandwiched with the mixture of cream cheese, thickened cream, grated chocolate, and apricots. I am not pretty good at cutting sponge cakes into even layers and I tend to use three identical tins. I weigh each batter in the tin as I believe this way I can make even layers. I enjoyed the slice of cake with a cup of black coffee. A simple way to enjoy pure labour.
chocolate layered cake


Chocolate Layered Cake
Chocolate Sponge Cake
I use Mbak (Sister) Fatmah Bahalwan's recipe for sponge cake as the base of the cake. I omitted some of the ingredients as I don't store them in my pantry. People in Indonesia love rich and high-construction cakes which are usually helped to strongly rise by emulsifiers. They also contain of a huge number of eggs than flour, especially for celebration cakes, such as the famous Lapis Surabaya (Surabaya Layered Cake) which uses 30 eggs altogether! Blimey.
I don't find emulsifiers are quite important in any cake-making of Western recipes as most cakes use less eggs than those in Indonesia. I made experiments to try these emulsifiers and one of close friends back home sent me a parcel of each emulsifier by order. I found the emulsifiers work really well and make the cake rising to the perfect size to my very own eyes, but the use of emulsifiers can be a fatal act for the performance of serving: guilty, because it must have been made from chemical-something and it feels like 'cheating'. Since then, I decided not to use any emulsifiers whatsoever anymore though I haven't finished them, and I prefer to make, serve, and eat cakes emulsifier-free.
The oven temperature and the time for baking in the recipe are not mentioned, so feel free to consult your own oven's manual instructions. I use 180C and baked cakes on the three tins for 25 minutes and I used three 19cm round identical cake tins.
Source: Fatmah Bahalwan, NCC
8 eggs,
200g caster sugar (I used 150g),
200g plain flour,
10g cornflour,
15g cocoa powder,
1 Tbs emulsifier (omitted),
100g butter, melted,
1 Tbs Black Forest chocolate paste (omitted)

Beat the eggs, sugar and emulsifier until thick and fluffy. Sift the flour, cornflour, and cocoa powder together, and gradually fold into the egg mixture. Mix well. Add in the melted butter, mix well. Add in the chocolate paste, mix well. Pour into a 20cm chiffon tin or two 22x22x4cm cake tins. Bake until cooked.
Filling
250g cream cheese,
150g thickened cream,
50g caster sugar,
410g canned apricot in juice, drained, (reserved 1 Tbs of the syrup), chopped,
50g grated dark chocolate,
1 tsp lime juice,
25g dark chocolate, extra, melted

Beat cream cheese and caster sugar until smooth. Beat in thickened cream until creamy. Add in chopped apricots, reserved syrup, grated chocolate, and lime juice. Spread on the cake to sandwich each layer and on top of the cake. Drizzle with melted extra dark chocolate. Serves 8.

21 comments:

Anh said...

Arfi, I am with you about not using those chemical stuff. And really, your cake is so wonderful, you don't need it at all...

And I too love to travel to indonesia one day. Have heard so much about the place... :)

eliza said...

hey, don't push yourself into participating in every event of IMBB! when you have time then you make time to do something :)

pretty presentation Fi, i think your cake looks gorgeous already. you cut cake better than i do! :)

Deborah said...

What a gorgeous cake!! And I do hope you get to go home soon - there's no place like home!

Mandira said...

gorgeous cake Arfi, I would love that slice and the coffee :)

Chris said...

This is perfect! And delicious! :)

katiez said...

Beautiful cake - perfect with coffe...for breakfast ;-)
I'm just starting to plan a trip to visit my mother... so I understand..a bit!

Nabeela said...

Arfi, I love the cake...especially the chocolate swirls on top. And thats a neat idea of dividing the frosting between three cans to distribte evenly.

Arfi Binsted said...

Anh: Yes, you're right. We can enjoy cakes even without the help of emulsifiers! Please do, visit my home-country. It has a lot of tourist interests everywhere. Try our first destination: Bali!

Eliza: No, I won't push myself. This is a cake I'd love to try the other day and Andrew has this event which fits really well with what I can do and want to do.

Deborah: Yes, I miss home. Flights are so busy for the coming end-of-the-year holidays, no seats for all of us. We'll have to wait until May-April 2008.

Mandira: *cut one slice for Mandira and brew a cup of coffee as well* help yourself, girl. *twink twink*

Chris: It tastes rich!

Kate: Oh, I am hoping you'll be able to meet her soon! Hugs, Kate.

Nabeela: Yes, I think it's just a good idea to divide the batter into identical tins. That because I am not good at cutting cakes hehehe...

Nigel said...

Arfi, your cake looks like an engineering marvel - splendid effort, young lady!

Arfi Binsted said...

nigel, nice to see you again!

VegeYum said...

Oh, yes, I know exactly what you mean when you say you miss Bali dances and the paddy fields and ducks. I have stayed in the rice paddies outside of Ubud, and it is very very special. I was fortunate enough to attend several "non tourist" temple events with dancing and gamalan (sp?) as well as food. I will never forget these things.

While in Bali i did a week long cooking course. Amazing! Altho vegetarian now there are several things that I still make regularly including a magical salad.

It was also the first time that I saw red rice, salt being harvested from the ocean, tofu being made and 4am vege markets.

Mandy said...

your cake is so pretty. I like the way you decorated it. :)And nice photos too!

Andrew said...

looks simply yummy! Thanks for taking part in waiter...

Arfi Binsted said...

vegeyum: you've been to bali? how nice to hear that!! yes, i even brought balinese gamelan tape with me, so everytime i entertain friends, i can let them listen to it. it's the way for me to let people know about my home-country.

mandy: thank you for dropping by!

andrew: thank you.

Anonymous said...

thats one cake which looks so simple and attractive......
good job done !!!

Arfi Binsted said...

thank you!!

Katie said...

That looks and sounds delicious. Your layers certainly turned out very evenly.

Arfi Binsted said...

Katie: I think using three identical cake tins and weigh the batter before going to the oven will give a good even layer. Thanks for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

Hi, mind sharing the lapis surabaya kek with me? Thanks!

Regards,
Rae

Maureen said...

Love your blog! just found it while googling :) I'm looking around for a chocolate sponge cake to make black forest cake. do you think this cake is the right texture for it? if not, what do you recommend? thanks!

Arfi Binsted said...

Maureen, if you are happy with it, then it will be alright to use this recipe to make a black forest. perhaps if you use black forest pasta, you'll make darker colour of sponges. I am stick with the chocolate natural colour. I am not into emulsifier, pasta or anything just to make cakes look pretty. For me, natural is natural :)