November 25, 2007

Courgette and Capsicum Quiche

With high quantity of home-produced eggs, I often make quiches or egg pies-that's my brother-in-law names. I dare myself to make Lapis Surabaya, the cake icon of Indonesia, or other cakes which use trays of eggs. Next it will be lapis legit, and oh yeah, it uses quite a lot of eggs! Dare not, my dear friends, I've got a lot to lose!

Enough with the cake, really, I've baked so much lately. Two swiss rolls in a week! I baked green cheese rolls for morning tea when we had a picnic lunch down the Waikato river and then I baked African Gateau Rolls (which I coat with 70% dark chocolate melted with sour cream and a little bit vanilla extract) for my mum-in-law's birthday dinner last night. And now, I baked another egg pie for lunch.

Well, CookSister invites us to bake topless tart, and I am sending her way this egg pie on the occasion of Waiter....

Courgette and Capsicum Quiche

1 quantity home-made short crust pastry (24cm flan tin), blind baked,
1 courgette, thinly sliced,
1 capsicum, diced,
8 eggs,
1 Tbs cream,
1 sprig parsley, chopped,
1 cup grated Colby Vegetarian Cheese,
freshly cracked salt and pepper,
extra cheese to sprinkle

Whisk the eggs with cream and chopped parsley. Season well. Add in the grated cheese. Put the sliced and diced vegetables on the base of blind baked pastry. Pour over the egg mixture, sprinkle with extra grated cheese, and bake for 30 minutes at 180C or until cooked and golden. Serves 8.


Deborah said...

I can't imagine having that many eggs to use!! Your quiche looks and sounds amazing, though!

tigerfish said...

Free supply of eggs whenever you want! I love eggs but not sure about breeding birds though.

A perfect quiche. My stomach just growled.

african vanielje said...

Your topless tart is beautiful, and what an interesting post. You are lucky to have so much space, and your birds are lucky too. DOes no one local want to buy your eggs. Home grown are so much better than store bought

Jeanne said...

What a fascinating post! If the taste of your chickens and their eggs reflect the happy lives they've had then they must be among the most delicious in the world :). Thaks for daring to go topless and taking part in this month's WTSIM!

Arfi Binsted said...

Deborah: we just started with a little chicken house, but it's apparently growing bigger!

Tigerfish: breeding birds are just those you found in kampong in Malaysia, only coming from different breeds. I actually read some books about these origin countries, mostly are coming from Himalayas.

Inge: I think we are lucky enough to have this place. We love it!

Jeanne: Thank you for organizing one of my favourite events!

Dwiana P said...

Mbak aku mau loh kalau dikasih telornya. Butuh banyak telor soalnya lagi baking banyak for the holiday. itu farmnya mbak yah? tempatnya enak very peaceful!