November 05, 2007

Summer in Store

We're reaching the end of Spring and it means we can feel the hint of Summer heat waving in. Soon, it's to be the time to go to the beach, time to wear sarong or T-shirt and shorts, be busy in the garden to do the maintenance for the garden to go through the heat, and then in the end will be the harvest time. Can't wait to taste the fresh fruits all over again!

In the vegetable garden, John's been transferring the little seedlings of capsicum (bell pepper), English spinach, tomatoes, and kumara (sweet potato), while we've occasionally picked cherry tomatoes from the greenhouse. They taste really nice. In my flower garden, Spring flowers are still giving tones for the view with bright yellow daisies alongside lavender, poppies, pansies, late-Spring roses, granny's bonnets and lupins. My strawberries are in buds and some of them have been bearing fruits. It is the time to do the cover-up, unless we want to share them with birds.

Chocolate Chip Shortbread

Source: Donna Hay Magazine. Issue 30.

220g chilled unsalted butter, chopped,
2 cups (320g) plain flour,
½ cup (75g) rice flour,
2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar,
1 tsp vanill aextract,
1 egg,
200g dark chocolate, chopped

Preheat the oven to 160C (320F). place the butter, plain flour, rice flour, sugar, vanilla and egg in a food processor and process for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture starts to come together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, add the chocolate and knead gently to combine. Press the mixture into a 20x30cm slice tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Smooth over with the back of a spoon and score the top into long bars. Prick with a fork and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is light golden. Makes 22.


Deborah said...

I'm jealous that you are looking forward to Summer while I am dreading Winter!! These shortbread cookies look delicious!

Helene said...

I just discovered your blog. Those shorbread look really good.

Nabeela said...

Gorgeous looking cookies!! You are always coming up amazing recipes Arfi!

katiez said...

I spent the day filling in the mole trails from last spring - I thought I had them all but when I'm done on my knees I keep seeing more.
I'm trying not to be jealous of your spring and be happy with my fall....
Nive shortbread!

Arfi Binsted said...

Deborah: ahahaha!! well, yeah. i think i was too when you were in summer. but now it's my turn!

Helene: thank you for dropping by.

Nabeela: these are great and can be made with gluten-free flour as well. Thanks, Nabeela.

Katie: yes, you should be happy with your fall. soon, you'll be able to make soup and enjoying lettuce!