November 01, 2007

Triple C's Muffins


We have had gorgeous days these past two days and I am able to do some gardening. There are many weeds I have to pull out and so many tiny seedlings I have to transfer. The wandering jews under the bush of Chinese lantern are pretty much an eye-sore view and OMG they are a back-pain job. There are stubborn root grass climbing up the fence and covering up the passionfruit bush, almost suffocate it that I have to trim. Then, I pulled out some forget-me-nots which are growing wildly in my garden and their tiny seeds will always successfully invade spots everywhere they've landed, and I don't want them to cover the base of my roses ground. I cut the finished-flowering cinerarias and leave those which are crowded with bees until next time they are not interested in them anymore. I have to tidy up the tulip bulbs, lift them up and let them dry before I store them in the fridge for the next planting day in 6 months time. I trimmed the rose greanium as they tumble down the pathway and they children can't ride through with their bike and I have re-planted the cuttings to other spots I think they deserve. Other things I need to do is trimming the edge of the lawn John had mown yesterday. He uses ride-on mower and he tends to leave the edge of the lawn uncut because the mower can't reach it. So I have to cut the untidy grass. Yes, there are always a lot of to do in the garden and I can feel the impact of it on my back. However, things are to be done and no time to whining while the children are happy in the garden as well.


One good view is that my compassions are flowering and I've cut some for Mum. My other old-fashioned roses are also flowering and they are sweetly fragrant. I can't help myself to cut them for the vases I have. I've put them everywhere in the house. I love to breath the rosy fragrance in the air, especially at night. Romantic? Well...

My poppies are all in buds and some of them have opened their first flowers. They are all pretty and there are still a lot of its tiny seedlings I have to transfer in the open field. I still need to find the best spots for them and the best spot for me. When it comes to Summer, I have to water them and it is a hard work if I have to carry 10kg watering can to the exact spots where the hose can't reach. So, I'll look around and see what I can do.

At the meantime, here's some light lunch we have when we all are busy in the garden. I made peach and lime cheesecake the other day and it is still good to finish a light meal like this. We also are still enjoying lemons from the tree and a jug of lemonade is very fresh. This is my entry for WHB #107, hosted by Kalyn this week. You can find Weekend Herb Blogging information and who's hosting next round on Kalyn's Blog.

Gluten-Free Triple C's (Courgette and Carrot Cheese) Muffins

2 cups gluten-free baking mix,
1 tsp baking powder,
2 eggs,
½ cup oil,
1 cup grated carrot,
1 cup grated courgette,
salt and pepper to season,
½ cup vegetarian cheese, grated,
1 sprig Italian parsley, finely chopped,
extra grated cheese to sprinkle

Preheat the oven to 190C. Grease 6 holes of texas muffin tin. Whisk the eggs with oil. Sift in the flour with baking powder, mix well. Add in the grated vegetables, herb, and cheese. Pour into the muffin tin. Sprinkle with extra cheese. Bake for 15-25 minutes or until cooked. Makes 6.



17 comments:

Anh said...

Arfi, such a peaceful post. I have been through the hell of a week, and your post calms me down greatly! The photos are wonderful!

Nora Leah said...

Those muffins look lovely, especially the delightful curl of butter on top!

I saw that you made a Bundt cake for the fig-themed Sugar High Friday. I'm hosting the Big Bundt Appreciation for Natl. Bundt Day (in US) on Nov 15.

You should submit -- I'd love to see what you come up with!

katiez said...

Gardens are never-ending, aren't they? You're in the middle of spring clean-up ... I'm in the middle of fall clean-up! Lovely muffins - next summer when the courgette are growing!

Nabeela said...

I like the name triple c...and the kids are so cute! Love their shy smiles :)

Nabeela said...

sorry, another question!
Ever since I started getting comments from readers accusing me of only cooking from cookbooks, I'm very curious to know how other bloggers come up with recipes. Is this muffin recipe your own or is it from a cookbook?
Thanks :)

Arfi Binsted said...

Nora: Thank you for the offering. I'll see what I can do. Actually, it was not a bundt pan but it was only a ring pan.

Nabeela: Thank you, yes they are quite shy. About another question you asked me, the muffin recipe is my own recipe. I often bake since I was a kid and I am used to measurements. Sometimes I just throw ingredients in the bowl. Muffins are very easy to make.

Arfi Binsted said...

Anh: sorry to hear you sound so low. I hope you'll be alright soon. Hugs.

Arfi Binsted said...

Katie: they are never ending, indeed. It's amazing about this cleaning-up hehehe...

Nabeela said...

That must be so good to have grown up with baking in your home....my mom never baked and I was scared of baking for a really long time after I came here to USA...but finally I am over it and bake like crazy now ;)
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it...and my appreciation for your recipe has grown two fold since I came to know it was made all by you! Kudos to you!

Dwiana P said...

Oh mbak asyik masih bisa gardening... disini dingin. And muffinnya look YUMMY.

Kalyn said...

I'm feeling quite guilty because I've left my garden in a complete mess now that winter is nearly here. I keep telling myself I will get some of those jobs done, but no luck so far. The kids are just adorable, and your muffins sound wonderfully tasty and healthy.

Arfi Binsted said...

Nabeela: Oh, you're thinking so high on me. I am really honoured. InsyaAllah this is not something to lead to self-pride or whatever, but I do keep dear what you're thinking of me. I just like cooking and baking, plus I've done it for years. It's probably what's the meaning of 'practice makes perfect', though I don't think I'm not that perfect. Thanks, Nabeela.

Dwiana: Iya, dunia ini terbalik-balik ya sesuai dengan peredaran bumi mengelilingi matahari hehehe... nikmati aja musim dinginmu ya.

Kalyn: Summer will always leave the garden in a mess. Never mind, there'll always be tomorrows. Hope you can do it soon.

Chris said...

Arfi, what a lovely post! My plants and herbs have gone "kapoot" since Atlanta is in a severe "no outdoor watering" ban.

The little ones - precious smiles. Just wonderful!

Arfi Binsted said...

Chris: That sounds like my sister-in-law in Brisbane, Australia. She has to plant native plants which can receive little water. Sad but true. I hope you'll find some ways to keep gardening. I don't know if I can if I were you.

Stephanie said...

What is a courgette? I think it's what I know as a summer squash, but is it a yellow or a green one? Thanks!
I'm a gluten-free blogger. And I have lots of summer squash on hand that I need to bake into breads and muffins while it's still good.

Arfi Binsted said...

Stephanie: courgette is known as zucchini, it is the same family as pumpkin (cucurbita). Some people call is vegetable marrow. Good luck for your baking!

Arfi Binsted said...

Stephanie: oh, summer squash is different from courgette or zucchini. Courgette has an appearance like a cucumber, but summer squash is more alike a little buttercup.