December 08, 2007

Cookies in the Jar, Cookies in the Jar...

Christmas means togetherness, sharing, laughters, presents, Christmas crackers, and... food! I emerge myself in the preparation of this special occasion, mainly to share the culture, although I must admit I do love making presents from my own kitchen. I often make chocolate truffles with different flavours to the family and neighbours, the most popular ones are the Bailey's chocolate truffles. It feels so special to make treats for special people.

This year, I also am thinking to add the present boxes for the boys next door with homemade biscuits alongside the popular chocolate truffles. I am sending these little treats for you who celebrate Christmas and bake cookies for your loved ones, an event which is hosted by Susan of Food Blogga.

My first option is chocolate snowdrops which are so easy to make and they taste beautiful with crunchy chopped almonds. You can chopped the almonds finely but I do think that when they're chunky, they'll give burst of flavour in every bite. They are likely the chocolate version of Greek Shortbread.

Chocolate Snowdrops

Source: Family Cricle, May 27/83.

chocolate snowdrops

125g (4 oz) butter,
3 Tbs icing sugar, sifted,
2/3 cup plain flour,
1/3 cup cocoa,
1 cup finely chopped almonds,
extra sifted icing sugar to coat cookies

Soften the butter at room temperature, beat with icing sugar until creamy. Stir in flour and cocoa, sifted together, then almonds. Chill until firm enough to handle. Roll a teaspoonful of dough at a time into marble-sized balls. Place balls on an ungreased baking tray, spacing them about 5cm (2in) apart. Bake in a slow oven for 20 minutes, or until firm. Carefully remove from baking trays; roll in icing sugar while still warm. Place on wire racks to finish cooling, store in layers (with greaseproof paper between) in an airtight container.

Other options which are probably new to you but once so popular in the cooking group I join in Indonesia is Cheese Buttons which are made from delicate pastry and topped with icing sugar-grated cheese mixture. I love these little biscuits as they are melt in the mouth and taste sweet and savoury at the same time.

And the biscuits I often make will probably another idea for you to fill the present boxes or jars, the chocolate-coated chocolate biscuits which are called zebra cookies. The base dough for the biscuits can be very crumbly once you've mixed all the ingredients, but once they are rolled out, the dough becomes come together. The great thing is that each square is coated with dark chocolate or whatever kind of chocolate you'd prefer, really, which make these treats are lovable!

Zebra Cookies

Source: Majalah Kartini. Indonesia.

225g plain flour,
125g butter,
100g icing sugar,
2 egg yolks,
50g cocoa powder

Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, until fluffy. Fold in sifted flour and cocoa powder, mix well. Roll the dough out ½ cm thickness, cut into squares 5.5 x 4cm. Transfer on to the baking trays and bake until cooked (It takes 8 minutes, my oven with 160C). Cool on the wire rack. Once cooled, coat with dark chocolate and garnish with royal icing (I used white chocolate)

Royal Icing

1 egg white,
150g icing sugar

Beat until thick. Put the mixture into a piping bag and pipe onto the coated biscuits.

Happy baking!


Susan from Food Blogga said...

Arfi, I hope the boys know how lucky they are! Those chocolate snowdrops are precious. And with almond pieces for crunch--I'd have trouble stopping at just one. Or two. Or three. And those Zebra cookies are luscious (and that's a word I reserve for truly drool-worthy treats). :) Thanks for submitting to Eat Christmas Cookies! -Susan

katiez said...

The chocolate snowdrops will be perfect for me! I just found a bag of almonds that need using this month...
The Zebra Cookies look so prefect - very professional!

Deborah said...

Oh, now I want to go home and bake some cookies!! They look fabulous!

Chris said...

I want eat them alllll up!The Zebra cookies are fabulous!

Dina said...

This may be a silly question, but what does it mean to "bake in a slow oven"? Also, what temperature do you bake them at? Looking forward to making these!

michelle said...

Beautiful cookies! Good luck in the finals!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hey Arfi! Just wanted you to know I included your delicious cookie in my latest article at Foodie View. Happy Holidays!

busymum100 said...

Dear Arfi,

I've been making these choc snowdrops since I saw the recipe in the magazine (I still keep the magazine!).

I'm glad to know others who also like this recipe.

I blogged about the recipe here:

Today I'm making some for the coming Idul-fitri.