December 05, 2007

Saffron Crème Caramel

I should say I can understand what Martin Bosley writes that when you have eaten a great crème caramel, angels sing. It gives a perfect description to the flavour complements in the crème, that's when you can make it right.

My favourite flavour so far is Orange Caramel Cream. I often replace the orange with either lime or lemon. But I do love the orange flavour the best. One of Martin's recipes written in his columns on The NZ Listener, November 17, 2007 is the mixture of orange and cardamom brulee. Pretty beautiful to my palate. Lovely tangy and the fragrant of spice, what more can you get? I also have tried his Coffee and Anise Bavarois, and again it is a chemistry sensation of coffee and anise becomes a satisfaction in the end of dinner. And, another one is saffron crème caramel.

I tell you about saffron: it is not your ordinary spice you would have found in ordinary shops. Perhaps, it becomes the most expensive spice in the world but to me it is rather to be like as mellow as yellow imagination, perhaps far beyond it. The flavour, the fragrance, the taste, oh so delicate, so beautiful, so...different. When it's sprinkled on the milk, the trace of colour begins colouring the mixture. It's like magic. It is a magical spice.

I just can't describe it more than this, a truly admiration of sensational spice. Just beyond words. A cliché? Well, perhaps if you try this recipe, you might find the perfect words for it. I send this pudding for Sugar High Friday: Pudding. Zorra of KochTopf is the host this month.

Saffron Crème Caramel

Special thanks to Barbara who sends me little packages of saffron. Good luck with the packing, Barb!

Source: Martin Bosley, The Works. The NZ Listener, November 17. 2007.


½ cup sugar,
3 Tbs water

Put the sugar and water into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer and cook until it is a deep amber colour. Remove from the heat. Pour into the bottom of the ramekins.


1 litre milk,
a pinch saffron threads,
120g sugar,
6 eggs,
4 egg yolks

Preheat the oven to 165C. Put the milk, saffron and sugar in a saucepan, bring to lazy simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Whisk the eggs and yolks in a bowl. Continue whisking while pouring the warm milk mixture. Strain into a jug. (Stand overnight to develop the flavours—I did this—ab).

Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins and put them into a roasting pan. Pour enough warm water into the pan. Bake for 30 minutes (Martin doesn't mention what temperature, but it is wise to check your oven manual—ab), the tops should be barely tremble when shaken. Remove from the oven and chill in the fridge for at least 24 hours.

(Martin serves the pudding topped with broken caramel left in the ramekins. I did the same and added saffron on top as a touch). Serve 4.


Gretchen Noelle said...

Looks gorgeous! I just made my first flan not long ago and liked it! I really like how you say to check them, "They should barely tremble when shaken." It just brings up a comical image. Hope you enjoyed them, they just look delicious!

Andaliman said...

Bentuknya cantik bangett mbak

Deborah said...

Oh wow - this sounds amazing!! And it looks so elegant, as well!

zorra said...

I would like to hear the angels singing, too! ;-)
Looks so delicious.
Thank you for participating in SHF #38.

shannon said...

Hi Arfi,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at


Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant,

Barbara said...

rful. I'm glad to see you are using the saffron. I'm not allowed to take many of the things in my pantry to Australia.

Chris said...

Wow! Arfi...this looks beautiful! I don't think I have ever had saffron. Hmmmm....

And, I don't know where I have been! The quiche? The Chocolate Mousse Cake? That is one I will have to make. Looks like a huge hit!

Arfi Binsted said...

Gretchen: the comical image is Martin's hehehe... he's pretty funny but a bit arrogant chef, but i think i will like him if he makes me something delicious like his custards. yes, i do enjoyed them, as well did my hubby. we love them!

Pepy: iya enak juga dan wangi.

Deborah: i think the caramel gives it the look. thanks, Deborah.

Zorra: thank you for hosting the great event!

Shannon: I am not sure, but I'd email you soon.

Barbara: yeah, Australia's customs are very very strict!

Chris: glad you come back to see me again hehehe... hugs.

ThreeTastes said...

What a lovely use of saffron! I can understand why the angels sing.