January 12, 2008

Grow Your Own: Garlic and Courgette

Courgette/Zucchini is one of my favourite Summer vegetables. They may look like cucumbers but taste far from alike. They even come from different families: courgette comes from cucurbita which is in the same family of pumpkin, Summer squash, and Winter squash, while cucumber comes from cucumis (sativus cultivars). I just love courgette for ratatouille, stuffed, or stir-fried.

Courgette is a very generous plant. When they love the soil with lots of manure and sun, they'll grow very quickly and will produce more than you can expect to supply your needs. Their flowers are also usually used for wrapping or stuffing. We are highly likely going to be enjoying the menu of courgettes in weeks!

Earlier in Summer, I harvested my garlic which I planted around the roses (a little bit earlier than last year's). It is said that garlic can prevent diseases for roses and also will enhance their fragrance. Since I have scented roses, I thought it would be good to plant garlic around the roses while they can act as guardians for them.

While many of you are enjoying the warmth of woolly jumper and a sip of chocolate drink, we're celebrating the festive of heat in New Zealand with iced drinks and thin layer of clothes. We had had rain yesterday but it was not that heavy, and today it is sunny again. I am sending this as an entry for Grow Your Own, hosted by Andrea of Andrea's Recipes.

Garlic and Courgette Spaghetti

You may find that my recipe is very basic, but I do believe that less is more. The addition of runny yolk from the soft poached home-produced eggs is something we love on our pasta cooked like this. I sometimes add some chopped basil or oregano to the mixture when tossed with spaghetti, since courgette is pretty bland. However, feel free to modify as to your liking.

400g spaghetti, cooked as instructed,
2 courgettes, grated,
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped,
grated Parmesan,
salt and pepper,
olive oil

Heat the oil in the frying pan, cook the garlic until fragrant but not brown. Add in grated courgettes, cook for two minutes or until the courgettes are going to soften. Remove from the oven. Toss with the cooked spaghetti and some cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining cheese. We eat them with soft poached eggs. Makes 4.


Susan from Food Blogga said...

Ah, yes, zucchini are so abundant in the summertime, and fortunately so versatile. I love the flowers more than the vegetable itself! Lovely idea with the egg; my husband would really enjoy that.

Andrea said...

Your zucchini looks so perfect! I love the zucchini and pasta combination. It's simple and beautiful. Thanks for joining in on Grow Your Own!

Maryann said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! It gave me the chance to come see yours. I love your photos, especially that glass of lemonade :)

Dhivya said...

seeing this post makes me want to grow something of my own! it must be such a pleasure to see the plants bear fruit thanks to ur hardwork!

Interesting recipe to boot! :) will give it a try when my go grocery shopping next :)

unplainJane said...

That looks TOO good! You've inspired me to add a list of recipes to our blog so that I have one place to turn to when I need inspiration of an evening! Thanks!

unplain-Jane - sinnjoy.blogspot.com

Chris said...

zucchini is a veggie I am learning to like. I admit....not a fan as a kid. But, this looks yummy!

Coffee & Vanilla said...

Sounds delicious :) My two favourite ingredients plus pasta!

Have a good day, Margot

Bron said...

Yum! Arfi, this looks incredible!
What a perfect poached egg...I love this idea, I will certainly be making this on the weekend.
Hugs Bron

jessbcuz said...

I had not heard that about garlic and roses... something to for me to try maybe this year!