January 23, 2008

New Zealand Sweets: Hokey Pokey

Children song:

you put your right arm in,
your right arm out,
in out, in out,
you shake it all about,

you do the hokey pokey and you turn around,

that's what it's all about

oh do the hokey pokey (3 times),

knees bent, arms stretch, roll roll roll

(repeat with left arm, right leg, left leg, and yourself)

I used to do hokey pokey with the kids in the kindergarten when I was still teaching at a Montessori-adopted international curriculum kindergarten school in Palembang, South Sumatra, Indonesia. Actually, there was a great moment to do this when we could stand, gather, and move together in the same movement. It is a cheerful simple music a child can enjoy. It's so fun that I still am doing it with my own kids. They love the rhytmn, dance, and songs. The movement itself builds a happy

Now, there's a hokey pokey which is not a kind of folk dance in New Zealand, but it is something you can enjoy. Hokey pokey is a kind of brittle but not as hard. It is as well sweet as light and it is old-fashioned. Every old-fashioned according to me is more appealing to explore. You can wrap this as a Christmas present a child will love or break it on your ice cream. Even enjoy it as it is is quite desirable.

This is my entry for Sugar High Friday, themed Candy, this time hosted by Gambini.

hokey pokey with ice cream

Hokey Pokey

Source: Edmonds Cookery Book.

5 Tbs sugar,
2 Tbs golden syrup,
1 tsp baking soda

Put sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Stir occassionally, if necessary, to prevent burning. Remove from heat. Add baking soda. Stir quickly until mixture froths up, pour into a buttered tin immediately. Leave until cold and hard. Break into pieces.


Deborah said...

I haven't done the hokey pokey in ages - I guess I will get my fill of it once I start having kids!

This hokey pokey sounds wonderful. I especially like how you've served it on ice cream.

Arfi Binsted said...

hehehe... i don't give them to my kids. it's just a treat for me and my husband. kids are not eating sweets but homemade cakes i made. thanks for dropping by, deborah.

Morine said...

Dear Madam Arfi Binsted,

I was googling to search for a montessori based pre-school in palembang, and i came across ur blog. U mentioned that u once taught at a montessori-adopted international curriculum kindergarten school in Palembang, South Sumatra, Indonesia. I would like to apologise that my question here is out of the topic that u were discussing in this blog. However I'm a desperate mom looking for such school in palembang. Would u please kindly fill me in with the information on the name and location of this montessori kindergarten school that u once taught in palembang? U may email me the information to mor1ne@yahoo.com, really appreciate ur kindness and understanding, and thankyou in advance.


Lynn said...

thanks so much for this forgotten recipe!!! this went down a treat with my son whos got nut allergies!
thanks again