January 07, 2008

Sugar-Grilled Nectarines and Strawberries


What's not to enjoy in Summer than enjoying plentiful of berries and stonefruits as well as tomatoes and beans? It's a festive season, time to get hot, and enjoy the Summer breeze with lots of sunscreen, large hat, good books, and sunnies. I think everyone in New Zealand is celebrating the season with lots of outdoors, either dining or other activities. Beaches are very crowded. It's just lovely.

Although we are not planning to go back to Indonesian until June, I'm quite happy to be in New Zealand during Summer. It would be nice to be able to stay in Indonesia for 3 months to avoid the icy Winter seasons, but it's a lot difficult to do the immigration procedures now I am a New Zealand citizen. They will treat me like a tourist in my own home-country, that's a sad fact. I am only allowed to stay for 3 weeks with visitor visa, that's it. Not even enough to stay with my mother while we're still missing each other, let alone to do some interesting sightings I've dreamed of. Sigh.

However, what is going to happen happens. Right now, we have something important to celebrate: sun and fruits.

I usually don't cook fruits unless they are tart I will make chutney, jam, or fruit cheese. Yesterday, when we did our every-Summer-habit (going to the orchard and spending more time picking and nibbling the fresh fruits), we found out some nectarines were going soft as the fungus attacked. We suspect that as we get more humidity, the fruits tend to develop fungus. To save the lots, I took them in and washed them, cut the affected area off, then cook them with strawberries under the grill. I read the recipe to grill the fruits on one of Donna Hay magazines but I forget which is which.

I send you this Summery fruits on the occasion of Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Vani. Check out more on Weekend Herb Blogging on Kalyn's Kitchen.


Sugar-Grilled Nectarines and Strawberries

Source: Donna Hay magazine.

I eat these fruits with yogurt for dessert. Oh, they're sublime!

6 nectarines, washed, halved, stone removed,
200g strawberries, hulled,
½-3/4 cup white sugar (depending how sweet are your nectarines and berries),
¼ tsp vanilla bean paste

Preheat the oven under hot grill. Place the halved nectarines in a roasting pan, cut-side up. Spoon in the vanilla, mix well. Sprinkle the strawberries over the nectarines. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the fruits. Grill until the fruits are cooked and golden brown.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

I can't wait for summer - just for recipes like this one!!

Suzana said...

This looks like a beautiful, healthy and tasty dessert! So not fitting with the winter day I have around here - I'd love to have that now.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. :)

Vani said...

Arfi,
Looks delicious...See you at the roundup. :-)

-Vani

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Isn't grilled fruit heavenly? I love the way the heat caramelizes the fruit. Yours looks splendid.