February 10, 2008

Kaffir Lime Chicken Kebabs with Kaffir Lime, Rosemary and Garlic Butter

I really am not clever on organizing a weekly menu like some people are. There are always things to give a change of heart, especially there are some things new in the market or when the stuffs are not there when they're supposed to be. A real disaster to the compacted mind and I don't really like to have plan Bs, because it is not the same as the original idea. Call me a bit conservative, but original ideas are the first things coming to the minds and they should be appreciatively done.

However, I usually have something on my mind when the groceries day is approaching, perhaps making something different, for a change or trying out some recipes. Olds and News. The thing is like I said before, when I really want to make something, the stuffs are not there, and this can be the trick of the minds that something should be decided what to pile on the dinner plates.

Like on the weekend, I planned to make chicken satay, Indonesian way, but I completely forgot to put the skewers on the list. And once forgotten, let's be forgotten. What to do? We're not living in the city that we can always go back to buy the stuffs, but going back for 35 minutes driving is not fun, just to buy the forgotten bamboo skewers. Nah. Perhaps, the mind is working on a plan B which I don't recognize as is. When strolling along the garden, my eyes are staring at the rosemary bushes and my mind is telling me to use them. Yes, but what should I do with the sauce? I should be making chicken satay with peanut sauce, and can't be mixing peanut sauce with rosemary-flavoured chicken? Can it? Nah. Nah.

Okay. Change the sauce, change the plan. Ha! Well, okay, one clear idea: chicken kebabs flavoured with kaffir lime in rosemary skewers, braised with kaffir lime, garlic, and rosemary butter, eaten with brown rice and BBQ courgettes which are mixed in with basil, roasted garlic and balsamic vinegar with olive oil and a bit of black pepper and salt. That's it. Actually, I didn't eat them with brown rice as I was not that hungry. I just loved to play with the kebabs and piles of courgettes-basil mixture for my dinner. I still have my home-made bread to scrub the juices off my plate. That was enough for me. Later that night, I sat back and said to myself: what a big-moments day.

I am sending this as an entry for Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Erin of Skinny Gourmet.

Kaffir Lime Chicken Kebabs with Kaffir Lime, Rosemary and Garlic Butter

Makes 16 skewers (we ate 8 of them and freeze the other 8s for later use)

I picked three leaves of kaffir lime at Mum's garden as we only grow Tahitian lime, but it occurs to me to add it on the next-to-grow list. I do love the flavour of kaffir lime leaves. I think every ordinary meal can turn magically into exotic and sensous dish when shredded kaffir lime leaves added. Very exotic, very sensous. It's lovely.

892g chicken (that's what I have),
3 fat garlic cloves, minced,
1 Tbs ground coriander,
1 Tbs sweet chilli sauce,
1 tsp ground cumin,
sea salt,
1 kaffir lime leaf, chopped,
1 slice fresh white bread,
olive oil,
16 rosemary skewers

Process the chicken, minced garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, and chopped kaffir lime leaf until smooth. Add in the fresh bread and process again until the mixture is smooth. Take some tablespoons of the mixture and press it against the skewer, smoothen it as you go (oil your hands will be quite helpful or use gloves) along the stick. Heat the grill. Cook the kebabs and braise them occassionally with the herbs butter.

Kaffir Lime, Rosemary and Garlic Butter

25g butter,
a sprig of rosemary, finely chopped,
2 kaffir lime leaves, chopped,
1 cloves garlic, roast (or grill on the bbq), mashed,
freshly cracked black pepper

Mix all the ingredients together and brush it on the hot kebabs while on the grill and once the kebabs are all cooked, pile the remaining butter you haven't used on top.

These kebabs are also nice eaten with turmeric rice, Indonesian way: Basmati rice, 1 onion, finely chopped, 3 garlic cloves, 2 small bay leaves, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground turmeric, 1 Tbs coconut cream, olive oil for cooking.

Wash basmati rice and drain. Heat the oil then cook the chopped onion and garlic until soft. Add in the ground spices, then the rice. Cook until fragrant. Add in enough water to cover and the coconut cream. Add in the bay leaves. Cover and cook until fluffy.

Selamat makan!

Bon Appetit!


bhags said...

Kebabs look really delicious, but never heard of turmeric tice before, thanks for the recipe.......just flew here from somewhere......nice blog u have got here

Passionate baker...& beyond said...

For heavens sake Arfi...by the time I come to check an ingredient(trying to post the chili sauce), you've mesmerized me enough to try something else! Does this look delicious or what!!!OMG..another one on the list of to-do's! Can I use lime leaves iso kafir lime leaves?

Kalyn said...

This sounds really delicious. I'm very fond of Kaffir lime leaves, but never thought of combining it with rosemary. Of course I can't grow the limes here, but I do keep the leaves in my freezer.

It must be challenging to live so far from the market. I live right by a store, so I try not to pop over there for every ingredient I think of!

BTW, I'm wondering if this should go to Ulrike at Kuchenlatein instead of Erin, since it's dated the 10th and WHB goes from Monday to Sunday? (Or maybe you already sent her an entry, not sure?)

Chris said...

Looks lovely. So many ingredients I either aven't heard of or tred before You make it look so easy and tempting. :)

Arfi Binsted said...

bhags: thanks for dropping by and saying hello.

deeba: yes, there are many possibilities to use up your sweet chilli sauce. and if you can't have or don't have kaffir lime leaves, the young lime leaves are alright to substitute. have fun!

kalyn: i mean to post it for the next WHB event. sorry if it's confusing.

chris: hehehe... am just using the ingredients i have at hand. but if there's a recipe calling for brocconcini or pomegranate, then i should give up. LOL.

Mansi Desai said...

This really is an interesting recipe, and I can't wait to try a vegetarian version of this:)

thanks for the idea!

So Simple said...

That sounds delicious what a wonderful combination. Will pass it on to my daughter they love chicken kebabs.