February 02, 2008

Zucchini Cakes with Dill and Feta


Garden is really dry at the moment. My flowers are wilted and most of them are going to seed. We're periodically pumping the water from the creek down the valley to water the garden. We do it manually by hose. After all, it is just a home garden, nothing really sophisticated or engineered equipments arrangement around the garden. Working in the garden is always muscles involved and that is a good thing, I suppose, to do the cheap exercise while you can breath the good air.

However, we still are enjoying our homegrown vegetables. We still have courgettes, pumpkins, watermelon, apple cucumbers, telegraph cucumbers, tomatoes, silverbeet, carrots, kumara (sweet potato), spring onions, broad beans, peas, runner beans, and capsicum to mention a few. Strawberries are reaching the final growth which are bearing small fruits while we've finished all the plums, except some of black dorris-billingtons and a few Burbank plums. We're still waiting for the Autumn-ripen plums to harvest, but we're not going to enjoy them until March, and most of the peaches are going to be ripen around March-April, as well as are Autumn apples. Passionfruits are awaiting to be gone purple, then we can enjoy the flesh. Kiwifruits are dangling happily, although only 6 of them, they do much better this year with two extra fruits for us to enjoy than last year's.

My dill plants are flowering, I though it is impossible to make zucchini cakes with it once the flavour won't be that fresh anymore, but then I found one plant was still growing with lovely faded green-silverish needle-shape leaves amongst the going-to-seed lettuces. With courgettes in an abundant supply, it is a good time to make zucchini cakes with dill and feta, taken from much loved cookbook Nigel Slater's The Kitchen Diaries.

This is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Claudia.

zucchini cakes1


Zucchini Cakes with Dill and Feta

Source: Nigel Slater. The Kitchen Diaries. p. 227-228.

3 large zucchini (courgettes) or about 500g,
4 salad onions (finely chopped),
olive oil,
1 clove garlic (peeled and chopped),
3 Tbs plain flour,
a large egg,
100g feta cheese,
a small bunch dill, chopped,
a coarse, fine-quality chutney, to serve (I used my own tamarillo chutney to go with it)

fork


Grate courgettes, sprinkle with salt. Leave it for half an hour. Heat the oil in a pan. Cook the chopped onions until soften but not brown. Dry the grated courgettes or wringe them out lightly. Add the chopped garlic in the pan. Add in the grated courgettes, keep cooking until almost pale gold. Add in the flour, cook until the flour is well-combined and well-cooked in the mixture. Season with black pepper and a pinch of salt.

Heat oil in a pan, drop heaped tablespoons when the oil is really hot. Cook until golden and turn delicately as the mixture is very fragile and cook the other side until golden brown as well. Dry on a paper towl lightly, then serve with the chutney. Makes about 6.

7 comments:

Kalyn said...

Sounds like a delicious way to use up some zucchini and hearing about your garden makes me long for summer even more. (It's freezing here.) I just got through leaving a comment at Haalo's blog saying I was making a mental note to be sure to plant dill this year, and now you've reminded me again!

Coffee & Vanilla said...

Looks very delicious, I added it to my "recipes 2 try" and will definitely try it out some time soon.

Have a nice day, Margot

unplainJane said...

Yum! Again! Thanks for the inspiration - I'm going to make these next week when I return from a trip to Wellington.

Arfi Binsted said...

Kalyn: oh, it's so hot here in NZ!! yes, we're using up courgettes at the moment. perhaps, i should find a great deal idea in WHB last year's entries.

Margot: please, do try. it is worth it!

Jane: hey, happy travelling!

katiez said...

Great zucchini recipe - and so pretty!
I've tucked it away for my summer!

Arfi Binsted said...

oh, I actually need more recipes to use up zucchinis!

Anonymous said...

Please, could I have your recipe for how to make your own tomarillo chutney?

My email address is mtnbluet@gmail.com