March 27, 2008

Hay Hay We're Enjoying Plum Clafoutis!


Summer is over but the heat is lingered a bit longer, I suppose. Although we have chilly morning and evening, we're still enjoying gardening under the heat of the sun. I always find gardening is a fun way to breath the fresh air and relaxing while my muscles are exercising. It is also very observal activities to watch how every season can bring its own challenge for us to deal with managing the garden. Moreover, if every season can be celebrated with each special characteristic treats, than each season deserves to be welcomed. I mean, even in Winter, when we always wake up in frosty mornings, we still can snuggle up with hearty hot soup while it's quite impossible to enjoy in Summer. On the other hand, when we wake up in the morning with sun in our eyes, we are celebrating the festive of slurps of ice cream and cold desserts. Spring and Autumn bring the "in-between" main season in the year, and they usually can be marked with bees in the garden in Spring and coloured fallen leaves on the ground in Autumn. I think it's just wonderful!

My garden is very messy with dry ground and died plants. And I have devoted my time after school to pull out weeds and died flowers, collect the seeds, and dig out the naughty grass which are traveling up on the roses clumps. I've also chilled my tulip bulbs until they are ready to be planted. There are always a lot of work to do in the garden. I have to watch out my sore back. Digging is a hard thing to do when the ground is hard and the roots are stronger than your strength!

Back to the orchard, plums when at the peak season are really great picked fresh from the orchard. We have different varieties of plums, mostly to try and pull out while the plums which 'work' with our taste will be kept. This year, we have lots of crops of our favorite Greengages, Black Dorris, and Schulten. Sadly, we are going to remove the Burbank variety as they are quite dry. We'll replace it with another plum variety, perhaps another greengages? Oh, YUM! We won't complain.

I am using Black Dorris for plum clafoutis as they have the most lovely flavour when they are cooked and will give lovely colour for jam. They are a bit tart but once are left ripen on the trees, they're quite sweet. We love enjoying them stewed with vanilla bean and cinnamon stick.

plum chocolate clafoutis

Anyway, I am sending this plum chocolate clafoutis to you on HHDH #19: Clafoutis Edition. My fellow Kiwi blogger down in Christchurch Bron Marshall has won the vote last round and is hosting the Hay Hay It's Donna Hay, created by our beloved friend Barbara at Winos and Foodies. You can view the recipe at Bron's website. Still plenty of time until 21 April at the latest to send your entry!


I didn't have trouble making the clafoutis. I only have one iron pan and I have to use a pyrex pie dish to make another lot. It does not matter, I suppose. This dish surely will look and taste good when it's just removed from the oven! It's quite a bit like eating molten chocolate topped with halves of roasted plums!


We love eating this dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


See our homegrown fruits here.

12 comments:

Bron said...

Thanks Arfi, my plums were quite dry so unfortunately not as syrupy as yours looks!

Arfi Binsted said...

oh, perhaps they were in the oven a bit longer? never mind. they are enjoyed anyway, bron. happy hosting! hugs.

Barbara said...

Gee arfi that was quick, you must have been really hungry. Thanks for joining in at HHDD.

Deborah said...

I have never made a clafoutis before, but this would be a perfect opportunity to do so! Yours is gorgeous!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Mmmm... i just saw Bron's announcement yesterday and am contemplating which type of fruit to use. Yours looks splendid, Arfi.

Arfi Binsted said...

Barb: hehehe... you know that!

Deborah: thanks for the compliment. this is my first clafoutis as well!

Susan: thanks, Susan. I'm looking forward for your entry!!

PheMom said...

Your clafoutis looks wonderful! Those plums look so beautiful. Great job! Also, I really love the description of working out in your garden. I can just imagine it - so wonderful!

Marija said...

Arfi, hose clafoutis look heavenly!
And I voted for you ;)

Arfi Binsted said...

Is it rounding up already? Gosh, I am behind... thanks, Marija :D

Arfi Binsted said...

holly, thanks for dropping by :)

Suzana said...

Arfi, that sounds rather delicious! Can't wait for the peaches season to get started around here!

NuKiwi said...

Looks fabulous. Would love to try that one. :o)