March 19, 2008

Taste A Great Recipe!

What's it like to have your blog's clicked through to look for the perfect (or perhaps, handy) recipe to create and re-create? You can't even expect to get the blog that you're familiar with which makes the Taste and Create event interesting! When I received the email from Nicole the creator of T & C, I got Hanne of Supper in Stereo to be my 'partner' for this time around. I am new to her and hubby blog and was so excited to look through what she has had posted.

I am big on dessert. The first time I visit Supper in Stereo, my eyes automatically caught the 'dessert' category. And there I was, browsing through. I fell in love with the Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream. While we're in Autumn and still are receiving the heat of the sun at daytime (and getting the chill in the morning and evening, typical Autumn weather), this pumpkin ice cream will be great eaten to melt down after gardening in the heat (still feel heat on my back!).

Yep, I've got a lot gardening to do. Time just flies and I am still working on my first book, be on the computer as much long as I can remember I've been. I need to inhale the fresh air and do something muscular while getting the inspiration bursts in my mind. My garden probably feels a bit abandoned. I really need to clear the oregano clumps which just invaded the front garden where I put my daffodil, sparaxis and ixia bulbs. I also need to chill the tulip bulbs before planting out. There's still a lot to do, so little time.

Back to the kitchen. I started the phase by steaming the pumpkin. We still have two pumpkin left in the larder from last year's harvest while those planted this year are still dying out. While waiting them to be cooled, I move on with the egg custard. I don't have any problem with making custard, everything just turns out beautifully. I think my stove is not simmering too low, so I need to watch the custard from getting burnt. When I see some lumps appear, I just whisk the custard madly until it's smooth. I have to remove it from the heat though, otherwise, the eggs will be scrambled!

Anyway, done that part. Ice cream is in the freezer. I don't have ice cream maker, so every two hours I have to take the tray out and mix it with the mixer. I do it three times and the last mix, I then add in the finely chopped glace ginger. Transfer it to a frozen-proof container. Leave it overnight.

The next day I make the profiteroles. Not the method that I usually make, really. I get through the process but I don't think I bake them as dry as I expected. The problem occurred is that I used two trays because my oven is not large enough for two trays on one rack. I have to put one tray on the bottom and another one on the middle rack. By the half baking time, I have to move the tray on the bottom to the middle rack and put the middle rack to the bottom. They are both have had been so puffy if I haven't open the door. 425F is way too much for the bottom puffs to have black bottom, and so I have to circulate it and turn the temperature down to 375F as instructed.

I continued with the baking for 10-15 minutes, and they turn out crusty on top. I take them out to make some slits and leave them in the oven with the door ajar. But when I come back, the puffs getting softer. So I think I have to let them bake for a bit longer. Perhaps I have to use the Paris-Brest method that I've made as the first entry for Klub Berani Baking (Indonesian Baking Club).

However, I shall move on. And here's the result.

pumpkin pie ice cream #2


I make butterscotch sauce to company the ice cream and the puffs. I thought garnish it with chocolate would be a good idea. We still have a few strawberries in the garden, although they are not the best (I also made a few experiments of photos on HomeMadeS' flickr page, if you'd like to view).

I have never thought that with that much sugar, the ice cream tastes so sweet. I would have reduced the sugar to let the ginger and the pumpkin get much better flavour. I can't not really taste the pumpkin as the ginger takes it over. The butterscotch makes it much sweeter. Next time, I'm going to use extra bitter dark chocolate, instead if it's necessary. One thing to eat it which I think is great is eating it with snickerdoodles! Or dark chocolate biscuits will be a bonus, though I am not thinking about chocolate chips! The idea to combine the ice cream with puffs is good, really. Perhaps, it tastes much better if my profiteroles are much crispier! Thank you for the recipe, Hanne!

This event is really fun and I am certain I will be a good participant from now on! Join us, if you'd like to. See you next month!

13 comments:

petits bijoux said...

Your photos are amazing!

Indonesia-Eats said...

blue is my favorite color, that is why I love your background and linen on the 2nd photo as well :)

Arfi Binsted said...

petits: thank you! am still a learner and an amateur hehehe...

pepy: thanks!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

Can you imagine what this recipe would do for a mom who's children do not eat pumpkin.....they will all fall for it, ha-ha! Well done for thinking outside the box.

Dita said...

hmmmmm patut dicoba nih? bingung punya pumpkin beli 2 minggu lalu mo diapain, bikin dessert ato buat masak :). Tapi es krim nutellanya blun abis. Mo bantu ngabisin gaggg :))

Chris said...

Wow! These look lovely. Thanks for the step by steps. Very helpful!

Cakelaw said...

Pumpkin and ginger are a lovely flavour combination - and who knew you could make it as an icecream! Adore your photo collage - my tech skills are nowhere near that.

Rosie said...

WOW oh wow your pics are amazing!!

Pumpkin & Ginger sound a great combo to me - mmm

Rosie x

Passionate baker...& beyond said...

Absolutely divine Arfi. Good luck for your book! This dessert is stunning (as are the others you do). Lovely pictures too!

Lia said...

liat photonya aja aku dah ngiler duluan!

Arfi Binsted said...

thank you all!!

Aran said...

pumpkin pie is my favorite pie and ice cream is my favorite dessert so you just won me over with this delicacy! My goodness this is gorgeous!

Arfi Binsted said...

aran: well, then... that's yours!!