April 03, 2008

Bakwan Jagung: An Indonesian Way!

We often enjoy corns (zea mays) from the cob fresh and raw. They taste as sweet as honey and very juicy. You can't even tell whether it is a kind of starchy vegetable or just a usual fruit. Back home, I always enjoyed my late grandmother little snacks: simple boiled corn kernels sprinkled with salted fresh shredded coconut and cane/palm sugar.

So simple yet so time-consuming. I remembered she cooked them in a huge pan which the bottom was blackened by the ash. She put it on a hearth. When we went gardening, she would come back to check the corn if it's ready now and then. She would call me to take a break and serve the boiled corn kernels on a cone of banana leaf with all the toppings on. That was a delicacy for me.

Having harvested corns ourselves, it does remind me of my grandmother. She was a very good gardener, never was a moaner. She was a hard worker but also was she a gentle woman I've ever known in my life. I miss her and I miss my homeland.

Anyway, I cook corn fritters this time to send you who's joining Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Kalyn this week. An Indonesian way the cooking is slightly different from the corn fritters I've made before. I use more herbs and no cheese involved. Usually, it is eaten as a part of the main meal or as a side dish. They are often as well sold at sidestreet food stalls together with other kind of 'gorengan' (deep-fried fritters).

Arfi's Bakwan Jagung (Indonesian Corn Fritters)

Using sweetcorns, these fritters taste sweet, savoury and crunchy at the same time. The herbs give more flavour and pleasant smell. We like to eat them with tomato and chilli sauce.

corn kernels from 3 large corns,
3 spring onions, finely chopped,
1 shallot, finely sliced,
2 celeries, finely chopped,
flour,
2-3 eggs,
salt and pepper to taste (use garlic salt to give garlic flavour),
oil for shallow fry (you can also deep-dry these fritters)

Put the corn kernels, herbs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle with flour (I don't use much flour because we like corns to stay crispy), mix well. Break the eggs, whisk with fork loosely. Pour into the bowl. Mix well. If the mixture is too wet, dredge more flour until the mixture can hold together but is still impossible to roll into balls. Heat the oil. Drop one tablespoon and fry until golden. Flip over and fry the other side. Remove and drain on paper towel. Makes 12-15 fritters.


3 comments:

Kalyn said...

This sounds delicious. My mother used to make corn fritters, very different from this though. I would love to taste your version.

mae said...

mbak aku jg barusan bikin bakwan jagung loh...
Congrats ya buat dmblgit-nya... pantes kok :))

Laurie Constantino said...

I love Thai corn fritters and these sound like they'd be wonderful as well. However, your Tomato and Chili Sauce sounds absolutely amazing. Sure wish I had some in my cupboard...