April 09, 2008

Biscuits for Cole




Holly sent me a message about her recent event Blogging for Babies to spread the words on March for Babies. I'd like to help her through this post.

I don't really have a sad story about my children, unless there was an incident when Sarah, my youngest daughter, was born without breathing. We thought we almost lost her. I tried my best to call her name in her ears and stroke her while the midwife was giving her oxygen and gentle message for her little heart. It was the pinnacle of that early night that she suddenly choked and cried. I cried out the relief. Since that night, I and my hubby promised not to have another child, not that way. I might have lost her if she wasn't find her own strong will to come back to us. I don't think I would be ready to lose a baby.

I did homebirths both, naturally. I didn't take any pain killers, whatsoever. I felt the pain, I felt the tearing, and I heard myself crying out. And till the fight was over, the excitement to see the little and wet creature bursting out from inside me, wearing my blood, was all the love to embrace to live. My kids were born healthy and weighed well for their mixed features. The smooth skin, the little nose, wriggly tiny fingers and toes... the wonderful feeling I can always remember. The bond in each breastfeeding is like telling me their unlimited stories what had been going on inside.

Now, they are here. They have become the very parts of my life to love, to care, to cuddle, to kiss, and to be introduced to the world. They are preciously raised and educated.

Talking about babies, I'd like to introduce you to our newest members in the family: Bibbie and Bow Bow. Two little fury kittens. They are all going to be the most handsome Toms ever in the village! Fancy, I have two more babies to look after. Of course, Ben and Sarah have their own recent tasks now: feed and look after them.

Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies

These biscuits are developed during Sarah's treatment to eczema, as the symptoms of her allergic to wheat and dairy products. Until today, none of my children drink cow's milk. The only milk their ever drank was my breast milk. I breastfed them until they both were 2.5 years old. We found out that Ben was allergic to wheat when he was a baby, therefore, we were cautious about Sarah's allergic to wheat as well. She got her eczema at her aged 2 years old. We're often consuming Healtheries Gluten-Free Simple Baking Mix to replace the wheat flour. They are all alright with peanut butter, so these biscuits were created, developed and improved. The amount of sugar does not make the biscuits sweet, but it helps the biscuits to retain its texture.

peanut butter cookies

1 cup smooth peanut butter,
1 cup unsalted butter,
1 ½-2 cups Healtheries Simple Baking Mix,
¼ cup caster sugar,
1 egg,
sprinkles (optional)

Preheat the oven to 170C. Beat the peanut butter, unsalted butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the egg until well combined. Fold in the flour. Mix well. Add more flour if the mixture is still wet. The dough should be smooth but not dry. Roll into balls. Spread with sprinkles (you can add raisins or dried apricots, if you like). Flatten a bit the bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Serves 14-20 small biscuits.

4 comments:

PheMom said...

Silly, what do you mean you don't have much of a story to share - that was perfect and exactly what I was hoping for. It doesn't have to be sad (the more not sad the better!!). I LOVED your post - it was so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. It was beautiful to read and I am so grateful that you shared it. Those little cookies look wonderful and I'm so glad you gave an allergy conscious recipe. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Arfi Binsted said...

Holly, it was a pleasure :D Happy hosting!

Barbara said...

Arfi you had home births! That's amazing. My first was a caesarian so no home births for me. Luckily my second was a normal birth so I know the emotion. I'm glad it was a happy outcome for sarah.

Arfi Binsted said...

So we are, Barb. I could not be amused when I should have lost her.