April 20, 2008

Click: Au Naturel



Brrrrr... We're receiving Southerlies this morning and we have to light the fire! In the middle of Autumn? Fancy that! The wind can be really, really icy, giving dry blow to your face when it's coming from the South. Perhaps it is a good time to stay inside and enjoy hot drinks.

Approaching Winter is always some natural resources to be enjoyed. Rhubarb is growing massive, tamarillo trees are fruitful, unfortunately, some of our hens are not being productive. However, we're still collecting 3-6 eggs a day, and that is rather good for a small household supply. We keep the breeds birds for hatching in the incubator and then sell the chicks, while the ordinary eggs are kept in the fridge for daily use.

The beauty of eggs are often captured by many of you and I do believe there's always a character of each shot. This is one of many shots I have done on eggs and I'm sending this as an entry for Click Photo Event: Au Naturel, created by Bee and Jai.



And here's one of the shots of rhubarb I have taken.




So, rhubarb and eggs, what are they going to be?
Here's the recipe to be sent for HHDH#19, hosted by my friend down in Christchurch, Bron of Bron Marshall.



Donna's Rhubarb Clafouti
Source: Canvas

350g rhubarb, washed and trimmed
3 eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar
sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup plain flour, sifted
30g butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup cream
icing sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 160C. Cut the rhubarb into 3cm lengths. Lightly grease a 20x25cm ovenproof dish and dust with sugar and add the rhubarb (in the step, I coat the rhubarb with caster sugar by toasting them in the sugar). Whisk the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla until pale and frothy and whisk in the flour. In a separate bowl, combine the butter, milk and cream, pour into egg mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour the mixture over the rhubarb. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until just set. Cool for 10 minutes then dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream.
Serves 4-6.

More on rhubarb:

Donna's Rhubarb Scones

16 comments:

michelle @ TNS said...

i'm not usually a clafoutis person, but this looks lovely!

Mindy said...

lovely concept for the eggs, mBa.

bee said...

thanks for your entry. the rhubarb clafouti looks delish. i've never bought rhubarb, 'cos i don't know what to do with it.

Arfi Binsted said...

michelle: this is just like custard, only you add rhubarb in it.

ndoel: thanks!

bee: we grow rhubarb and you can find some recipes of rhubarb on sweets category if you like.

Lia Loranty said...

ga pernah nemu rhubarb disini rasanya piye mba?

Pixie said...

Always looking out for new rhubarb recipes. This looks wonderfully delicious.

thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog, alway appreciated

pix

Bron said...

Looks wonderful Arfi, I do love rhubarb!

NĂºria said...

Such neat picture!!! I love it :D. Good luck at click!

Cakelaw said...

I adore your photograph f the eggs with the feather - it is absolutely exquisite.

Arfi Binsted said...

Lia: barangkali ga ditanem di UAE?

pixie: thanks for dropping by as well :D

Bron: Kiwis love rhubarb!!

nuria: good luck to you too! :)

Gaye: thanks Gaye :)

Meeta said...

love the egg shot. very elegant!

Arfi Binsted said...

thanks, meeta :D

Barbara said...

I love rubarb. This looks wonderful arfi.

Arfi Binsted said...

it tastes wonderful too, Barb :D

Lael said...

I linked to you from Bron's HHDD round up and couldn't leave without a comment. First of all, I LOVE claufoutis but have never used rhubarb...what was I thinking? Secondly, well, your pictures are just lovely. And, lastly, if my admiring tone isn't seeping through yet, I love the beautiful little country of NZ that you live in! I spent four years of my childhood in auckland and miss it dearly. I look forward to coming back to your blog again soon!

Arfi Binsted said...

Lael: thank you for dropping by and taking time to write to me. I always appreciate that :)