May 17, 2008

Putting Up: Lemon and Raspberry Curd

And yet, another post for Putting Up. I know, I have been cooking a lot and taking photos a lot, but I am so far behind in writing the recipes. I just don't enjoy sitting in front of the computer too long at the moment. I am having a problem with my back.

Anyway, the auctions of Books for Love are very amusing amongst Indonesian bloggers. There are many of us are enthusiastic in helping these cancer kids. This is the list updated on book auctions Indonesian bloggers are holding at present, you may want to participate:

Dyah: Ice Cream Book

Irma: Daddy's Long Legs; What To Expect When You're Expecting; Permainan yang Mencerdaskan Bayi

Rachmah: Buttercream: Cake Bingkisan Hari Raya dan Ulang Tahun

Caroline: Easy Fish & Seafood

Me: Kiwi Kitchen with Richard Till; Hunger for the Wild, The Art of Sugarcraft: Royal Icing, Passion Chocolat; Margaret Fulton's Cakes and Baking plus Wholefood Cooking;

And I am still looking forward for your participating on the event. I am sure there are still many kind and generous people out there. One dollar does count and I believe the cancer children will appreciate the effort even more :)

This is my second entry after Plum Stew for Putting Up event, hosted by duo Rosie and Pixie.

Lemon Curd

Source: Taste Magazine.

lemon and lime curd

225g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
zest and juice of 3 lemons (I add 1 lime)
2 eggs
1 egg yolk

Put the sugar, lemon zest and juice in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until the butter is melted and the sugar has dissolved. Whisk the eggs and yolk together until well combined and strain through a sieve into the butter and lemon mixture. Continue to cook until the mixture is thicken and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat, cool completely, cover and chill until needed. (I did: Pour into a lidded jar. Let cool and seal. Cool in the fridge until needed).

Raspberry Curd

Source: Taste Magazine.

raspberry curd

300g fresh or frozen raspberries
125 caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
lemon juice, to taste

Mash the raspberries with a fork and push through the sieve into a heatproof bowl. Add the sugar and butter and place over a pan of simmering water. Stir frequently until the butter is melted and the sugar has dissolved. Beat the eggs and yolks together until well combined and strain through the sieve. Continue to cook until the mixture is thicken and coats the back of the spoon. Add a little lemon juice to taste, then remove from the oven. Cool completely before covering with plastic wrap, then chill until needed. (for some reason, my raspberry curd becomes paler than those shown on the magazine. Perhaps the use of egg yolks give different colour. Our free-range egg yolks tend to be much brighter than those from supermarkets. The colour was deep red before the eggs mixture were poured in. So, next time I'm going to use smaller amount of yolks).


Pixie said...

Fabulous curds and I'll click those links to find out a bit more about the auction- thanks for passing on this important information to us all.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Those are two very tasty looking curds. I've never made a curd but have now thought of many an occasion where I wish I had one handy. I've only ever seen citrus based curds before so I really like the idea of a raspberry curd. Nice work!

Peter G said...

Lovely curds've really excelled yourself here. That raspberry curd looks delicious.

Arfi Binsted said...

pixie: thank you for your concern on the auction :)

mike: i am just thinking to use up what we have, rather than burying them in the rubbish bin :) thanks for dropping by, mike!

peter: hey, P!! nice to see you here hehehe

Rosie said...

One of my favourties lemon curd and yours looks wonderful!! Many thanks for taking part in this event :)

Rosie x

Penny said...

Oh gorgeous! Must try the raspberry one seeing you can use frozen.

I am hoping my lemon tree will grow bigger and I'll have enough lemons for lemon curd and preserved lemons too.

Dee said...

Your curds look really really yummy. I've only ever made Lemon curd before so I'll have to try this Raspberry one. Cheers!

Arfi Binsted said...

rosie: anytime!

penny: why not drive down here to south auckland someday? you can pick any lemons you want hehehe good luck for your lemon tree!

dee: cheers!!

Pixie said...

Just wanted to let you know the putting up event is now up and running thanks again for taking part.

Michelle said...

The Raspberry Curb sounds fabulous!

So Simple said...


I have never seen raspberry curd before. It sounds wonderful. I must try it. I realise I haven't done anything about the Books for Love but I would like to give a donation. Could you email me your bank account and I will forward my donation to you.
You have been so busy, I am exhausted catching up with your blog.
Yes I’m with you, both Richard Till and Logan and Brown are inspirational.
Cheers Gilli