May 08, 2008

Recipe Remix II: Dadar Gulung

I am feeling homesick... It's just sad sometimes being away from the people who've known you since you're a baby. I am missing my homeland, missing the food and people around me. It's so quite here in the countryside.

Anyway, I am sending my entry for Recipe Remix Part II, hosted by duo Robin and Danielle. It's all about breakfast with a twist. And I am sending these green pancakes stuffed with sweetened coconut threads, my childhood delicacy to start the day with a cup of green tea.

Dadar Gulung (Indonesian Green Crepes Stuffed with Sweetened Coconut Threads)

Source: Kue-Kue Indonesia by Yasa Boga.

With an adjustment to ingredients available in my kitchen. Cook the filling firsthand, so you can fold it in the crepes every time the crepe is cooked.

dadar gulung #1

250g plain flour
4 eggs, whisked
350ml coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
50ml air daun suji (I am using 2 tsps pandan paste mixed with 50ml water)
margarine to brush

Mix flour, eggs, salt, and pandan water. Pour in the coconut milk a little at a time while whisking the ingredients to combine. Heat the crepe pan, brush with margarine. Spoon the batter on to the pan, tilting to spread the batter around the pan. Brown the bottom side and flip over to brown the upper side. Fill each cooked crepe with the filling.

dadar gulung #2

100ml water
250g desiccated coconut
150g palm sugar
2 pandan leaves
1/4 tsp salt

Cook all ingredients until the mixture is thickened and the water is absorbed. Cool before filling it onto the crepes.


Barbara said...

Gorgeous arfi. How do you get the green colour?

Robin said...

Arfi, Thank you so much for your entry!!! This looks great! Look for the roundup around 5/29!

Kevin said...

Those look good. What a nice green colour!

Arfi Binsted said...

Barbara: I am using pandan pasta, just mixed it with water.

Robin: my pleasure, Robin. Happy hosting!

Kevin: :D thanks.

tigerfish said...

Other than the shape, this reminds me of Ondeh Ondeh. Oh, does the filling ooze out like Ondeh Ondeh ?

Lysy said...

These look so beautiful, and your photography is amazing!

Arfi Binsted said...

tigerfish: onde-onde's filling is made from sweetened mung beans or kidney beans, as far as I remember. the ones which usually oozed out once eaten is klepon.

lysy: thank you :D

Laila said...

Aku lagi cari resep dadar gulung, ketemu yang punyanya Arfi. I trust all your recipes. Just made a batch, and yummy! Thanks :)