June 27, 2008

Salad for Fat Chefs or Skinny Gourmets

I like salad. It is a non-guilty food I can eat and enjoy at any time, even as a snack in between meals. Nibbling a leaf or two in the making process is kind of a 'good' habit, I suppose, rather than nibbling on salty chips, don't you think? As I said on the mixed green leaves salad post that I like to add fruits in the salad for I do believe that they give more texture, flavour, and freshness to the whole package. I usually use New Zealand fruits, ranged from kiwifruit, grapes, nashi (the brown skinned pear which has round shape with juicy flesh), apples, and other pears. Sometimes I would include avocado, but not everyone can consume this lovely fruit, in that consent, I often serve slices of them separately with the mixture of fresh orange segments, sliced of Spanish onions, and tossed with whole-grain mustard dressings.

This is my entry for Fat Chefs or Skinny Gourmets hosted by duo Ivy and Ben.

mixed leaves with caramelized pears #2

Mixed Leaves with Caramelized Pears Salad

mixed salad leaves, your choice
red radish, sliced or keep the tiny ones whole, washed
alfafa sprouts

Caramelized Pears

3 pears, peeled, cored and quartered
aged balsamic vinegar
brown sugar
salted butter

Prepare the mixed salad leaves in a bowl. Meanwhile, make the caramelized pears. Heat the butter until hot. Add in quartered pears. Shake your pan to coat them with butter. Splash with vinegar and sprinkle with brown sugar. Shake again to coat until the mixture is thick and enveloped the pears beautifully. Remove from the pan, cool for a while and then mix them with the salad. It is just good with drizzled of olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper. Makes 4.


Scott Saint-James said...

Do you want to marry me?

Arfi Binsted said...

ha ha ha! scott-james, that is hilarious!

Ivy said...

Wow, this is the first time I see a marriage proposal on the internet. Thanks for participating in the Fat Chefs or Skinny Gourmets? event. Your salad sounds delicious and it's the first time I encounter caramelized pears in a salad.

David said...

That looks great, I need to start thinking about adding fruit to my salads like this!

Jescel said...

hi, stumbled upon your site through Taste and Create... the salad looks soo good.. yum! and your german choco cake, divine!

Jeena said...

What a beautiful salad the pears sound amazing.

Arfi Binsted said...

ivy: don't worry, he's just joking hehehe...

david: i think fruits will bring salads to another level :)

jescel: hi! nice to know you and thanks for dropping by :))

jeena: i like pears and i think when they are caramelized, their taste is excellent!

eliza said...

salad kamu cantik2 deh Fi...seger banget keliatannya.

Monkee said...

Your pictures are fabulous! I truly love it. Can I add you to our blog watch list? It'll be great to share your work around. :)

Arfi Binsted said...

eliza: hehehe makasih :)

monkee: be my guest, and thank you so much!

Coffee & Vanilla said...


Just a short note to let you know that you have been nominated to July IFP (Inspiring Food Photography) poll on my blog.


Have a nice day, Margot

Salt & Turmeric said...

arfi, cantiknya your salad. u take very nice pictures. im feasting with my eyes.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

The colors are just splendid, Arfi, and I can only imagine how delicious the flavors are.

Arfi Binsted said...

Margot: thanks so much! I appreciate that :)

Salt & Turmeric: that's good! Mission accomplished! hehehe.

Susan: I just love it, Susan. The caramelized pears give a great addition to the whole green leaves :)

Cakelaw said...

This looks delicious Arfi - love those caramelised pears.