June 23, 2008

Taste & Create: German Chocolate Cake

I have been becoming a fan of Taste and Create event which is created and hosted by Nicole of For the Love of Food. This is a fun event where all bloggers can test and true a recipe taken from the paired mate randomly picked by the host. T & C last time I was paired with Hanne of Supper in Stereo and tried her Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream which was superb! The pumpkin ice cream was just new to my taste but it was a pleasant trial. I love it with sweet ginger cubes.

T & C this time I am paired with Nicole and I was browsing through her wonderful recipes. Like I said, I am big on desserts, so first time browsing, you bet, is the items under Desserts category. There I was flipping over one page to the others, trying to escalate myself into something new, something I haven't made or something I don't dare to try. This is the fun of the event, as you're browsing through a blog you don't read a lot or perhaps one of the bloggers you've just been acquaintance with, the choice of recipe is another fun task. I usually can discover recipes I've been dreaming to try out but have no excuse to do it. This event gives me a lot more opportunities to actually get kicking, and furthermore, get to know more bloggers.

I chose Nicole's German Chocolate Cake because I am interested in the mixture of coconut and pecans in the filling to taste with chocolate cake. I've never tried those two items in one before, so I gave a try. Nicole made two layers with thicker cakes while I use slightly smaller tins and come up with these triple layers. I have no trouble in making the cakes although with three layers, I have to weigh the batter as for resulting even division for each tin. This is similar layers with the chocolate cake I made for Waiter in December last year, with different recipe and different filling, of course.

German Chocolate Cake

For the sugar, I used 2 Tbs of Sugaryl only and as for the filling, I added a tsp of instant coffee. I just love it with a cup of black coffee. The top of the cake you can see from the photos are shaved coconut or coconut flakes I came across at a healthy store. As a chocolate lover, I don't forget to have a taste of grated chocolate as well. YUM!

German Chocolate Cake

Would you like to have a slice?

23 comments:

Happy cook said...

Yumm that chocolate cake looks delicious.
Fun event will try to participate after my summer holiday. Going to India in jully for two months :-)

the AIRY FAIRY said...

oh WOW, WOW, WOW, arfi...this looks absolutely divine! it's a total lick the screen moment for me!

Lysy said...

Oh my, this looks absolutely beautiful! I'm not surprised you selected it to make for Taste and Create. I wish I had your photography skills (I have my eye on the chocolate plum cake you made too!)

Srivalli said...

arfi...that looks so sinful!..wish I could scoop right off the screen!

Penny said...

yes yes yes!

It looks so good :) I made a German chocolate cake with a peanut butter filling which was rather good too.

Zita said...

Whoa, that's the queen of cake... looks heavily delicious :)

Y said...

Arfi, that's one seriously photogenic cake :)

Cheryl said...

Hi,

I’m from Ate Media, a media company specializing in F&B, travel and lifestyle. I have some exciting information that might interest you.

I couldn’t find any email address on your site. Perhaps you could reply me at cheryl@atemedia.com and I can follow up with you via email?

Thanks and have a great day!

P.S. And yes i agree with everyone - that's one delicious looking cake! :D

Warmest regards,
Cheryl
Editorial Consultant
Ate Media Pte Ltd.

Katie B. said...

Oh Arfi, this cake looks so delicious - I want to lick the screen!!!

Cakelaw said...

Oh my, I can see why you were interested in this cake - it looks devine! Please save a huge piece for me.

Lia said...

semenjak pake flickr aku ga bisa menikmati photo2 indahmu lagi mba huhuhuhu

Shakespere said...

Very tempting. Enjoyed your blog.

Sophie said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

Kevin said...

That cake looks great!

ChichaJo said...

That is the most gorgeous German Chocolate Cake I have ever seen! Yes, please, I would love a slice! :)

Ivy said...

Your blog appeared on my snippet of Adoptic and I am visiting for the first time and I am happy to find that we have mutual friends. Will you believe that today I made a cake having pecans and coconut and it was delicious. Yours looks awesome.

Sunshinemom said...

That looks like a piece of heaven! Yummy!

Jeena said...

Yes please I sure would like a slice!! :-D

projectecoart said...

Your blog is fantastic...and a diet killer :) I will visit often!

rita bellnad said...

maaakkk... fotonya tambah kinclong.... they speak up more. love them

bee said...

absolutely gorgeous.

LyB said...

German Chocolate cake is one of my favorites, I would have a slice of yours anytime, it looks delicious!

Stef said...

You made this cake look so appealing! Love it! I made German Chocolate cupcakes from the same recipe for Taste and Create and linked to you.

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/11/german-chocolate-cupcakes.html