June 08, 2008

YES!! I Dit It!!

For almost a week now, some of the members in Indonesian Baking Club have been making experiments on French Macarons. We share the same enthusiast and curiosity how to make, if not perfect, better macarons. I've done my second try and I did it!

Desserts Magazine has Helen's article about making macarons and as soon as I downloaded it, I meant to try it, until Dita mentioned that she challenged everyone in the club to make macarons as to fill in the gap in between the next baking task of the club, then I just knew I have a good excuse to try my hand the second time. And this time, without doubt I follow every tip Helen writes.

I use French method which is described on the article. I use ground almond and pulse it a little while in the food processor with icing sugar until well combined. I think this part is another key point that when the almond is ground and then mixed with the icing sugar to become much smoother in texture, this will give smoother mixture of the meringue. Last time, I did not pulse this ground almond with the icing sugar but to sift it through a sieve and I think it was a mistake as the coarser bits of ground almond can still be passed through. That made the mixture heavier.

Using Helen's recipe I can feel lighter handling of the mixture. It's just like when you make a royal icing to make run outs, but this version, you fold in the mixture of ground almonds and icing sugar. The handling of the meringue is light, you can't almost feel it in your hand. When I pipe the mixture on the baking trays, I smiled to myself, broadly and said "YES! This is just right!".

plain with dark ganache

In the end of piping the plain ones, I decided to give a touch using pandan paste. I was a bit worried because the mixture is runnier than before. They did not give plump dots like the ones which are not coloured. I know I should have added the colour separately after thoroughly folding the ground almond and icing sugar mixture, but I thought it would not make any difference.

green pandan macarons


Then the waiting game is just going to start for the piped meringues should be left for an hour to let the skin 'hardened'. This when it is baked will give great glossy surface. I could finish my work down at the chicken barns before continuing battling with the macarons.

I preheated the oven to 150C and I was just tempted to try out my green ones. They burned quite easily, so I had to turn down the temperature to 130C. The green colour is not what I expected, a bit faded colour-wise. The little feet are so short I almost can't expect the feet will finally be happening to the plain ones. But then, when the first batch of plain macarons removed from the oven, I believe it now that I actually did it! The little feet were formed nicely and the surface of the macarons is glossy and smooth. I wrote to Helen short afterwards, thanking her for her great recipe.

I definitely will make more macarons in the future with more adventurous colour and flavour, to entertain my guests in July. This is my second entry for Mad for Macarons in May hosted by Minko of Couture Cupcakes.

28 comments:

MiNDY said...

yAY! congrats. they look good. I like the green tone of the pandan ones.

Zita said...

Wow...slamet..slamet:)

Apik banget keliatannya, mbak...
am still waiting to got time to buy fresh eggs, to try to make it my self :)

Tartelette said...

The pictures turned out wonderful!
Congratulations on this success....and yes, addig extract at the last minutes may cause flats...but you did a great job with those too!

Arfi Binsted said...

Ndoel: makasih hehehe... mau bikin lagi aaahhhh!!

Zita: ayo, zit bikin gih! ntar bilang2 ya sukses atau ga nya. sip deh!

Helen: thanks to you, Helen! a bit surprise with the green ones, though. I wonder if food coloring will do differently? who knows.

Nonon said...

keren, jeng arpih niy...

bertangan dingin menakhlukkan resep-resep ajaib...

Dita said...

plok plok plok....akhirnya berhasil ditaklukkan. Jadi....food coloring better dimasupin kapan Fi?

the AIRY FAIRY said...

arfi - the macarons look fabulous...i have wanted to make them for ages but have a serious fear of failure...especially when i read how others struggle so much with them...but maybe it would be good for me to be a bit mroe adventurous and give it a try. after seeing yours...i just might give it a go. well done with yours...they look scrumptious!

mae said...

Can't wait till tomorrow for making this !

I went to the baking shop this morning just for bought some ingredients needed, and they're closed. Ugh...

By the way, you're macaroon looks soooo tempting....

*latian boso inggerisan, CMIIW*

rea said...

Hi Mbak Arfie,
you always success awe me!! both for your effort in baking and photographing! I really "envy" you hahahhaa...Wish I could fly there and learn foodography to you..
A blue ribbon for your maccaroons... :D

Arfi Binsted said...

nonon: makasih. tangan dingin soalnya di sini lagi musim dingin hihihi...

dita: pewarnanya dimasuppin waktu abis folding si bubuk almond sama icing sugarnya. jadi dipisah2 mau berapa warna, getoooh!

the airy fairy: well, if you're not doing it you won't know whether you'll fail or success, will you? come on! you can do it!!

mae: hmmmm... ditunggu hasilnya!

rea: hehehe... bayarin tiketku aja, nanti aku ke bali hehehe

eliza said...

ikutann...congrats ya Fi. aku cuma suka ngeliatnya aja, makannya gak gitu doyan, soalnya memang manis. selama ini beli aja, gak begitu mau coba hehehe...ayo Fi, udah bisa jualan macarons di NZ ;D

Happy cook said...

Should i say oh la la they looks so delicious and very good.
I would love to make them too, but am afraid it woudn't be good so i know i am a coward have not tried yet.

linda said...

They look perfect! Love the pandan ones too even though they are a bit flatter.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Woo-hoo! I'm so excited for you too, Arfi! Not only did they come out perfectly, but you photographed them perfectly as well.

Kevin said...

Your macarons look great! Nice photos!

Peabody said...

Helen's macarons are fantastic...looks like you had great luck with them as well.

Y said...

Hooray! And they look fantastic too! :)

Deborah said...

They look just perfect! I have that article saved for when I get the courage to try...

Arfi Binsted said...

thank you all!!

Passionate baker...& beyond said...

YAY Arfi...but must say I am SO ENVIOUS!! These are pretty beautiful & pretty to perfection! Wonderful, bot of them, & beautiful photography too. Fabulous!!

Mansi Desai said...

these look awesome Arfi!! I am so dying to try macarons, but I', scared!!:) maybe I need to give it a shot at least:)

yours look pretty! great pcs, and love the pandan flavor...I made some chewy cakes with pandan last week:)

Cakelaw said...

These macarons are just perfect Arfi! I am still scared of making them - one day ...

Big Boys Oven said...

wow! they are amazingly beautiful!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

You did a great job! They came out beautiful!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Gorgeous macarons! Job well done!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Congratulations they look fabulous!

Manuela said...

I would love to try to make macarons, but I am still afraid to do it...

Arfi Binsted said...

deeba: actually, once you know how to do it, you won't be able to stop!

mansi: wow, i love pandan cake!

gaye: hey... give it a go, girl!

big boys oven: ha! won't be such a tricky task for you, i believe hehehe...

clumbsy cookie: thanks!

lynn: thanks!

my sweet and saucy: hehehe thanks :)

manuel: you should try it, and you'll know you won't be scared anymore :)