July 24, 2008

GYO: Pumpkins


Bee and Jai have announced Grow Your Own event as a part of Andrea's GYO.

I am submitting this roast pumpkin as I love it! I am roasting them with sage and garlic. In tradition of our family, pumpkin can be sliced or chopped in chunks to accompany other vegetables such as potatoes, kumaras (sweet potatoes) or parsnips as the main dish to roast chicken or lamb. Roast pumpkin is also nice pureed and mixed with fresh cream and vegetable stock to make roast pumpkin soup. There's always more options to do with pumpkins.

We grow our own pumpkins as I've written in Donna's Silverbeet (Pumpkin) Gruyere Gratin post. They grow well in our garden soil and there's no such hassle. They even grow on our back paddock just because my husband threw the rotten pumpkin out of the garden to the back paddock, so the bird can eat its seeds. Magical thing happens, some of the seeds are tucked in well under the grass and grown into vines. Yes, New Zealand soil is quite fertile.

This is my entry for Grow Your Own, created by Andrea and this month is hosted by Bee and Jai.

Roast Pumpkin

pumpkin-prepared

1 medium pumpkin
8 cloves garlic
1 sprig fresh sage
salt and pepper
olive oil

roast pumpkin-glass-fork4


Preheat the oven to 180C. Wash the pumpkin. Chop or slice. Put them in the bowl. Mix with garlic cloves and sage leaves. Drizzle the oil over and toss to combine. Sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Enough for 20.

10 comments:

Y said...

How beautiful, Arfi. That looks like perfect roast pumpkin and beats anything you'd get in the shops for sure!

Peter G said...

"Enough for 20"...LOL. I'm sure you cook for 20 on most days! Lucky you having all that beautiful pumpkin in the backyard. I love roasted pumpkin and sage and garlic sound like the perfect ingredients to go with it.

Arfi Binsted said...

Y: hehehe so long as they are homegrown and organic, I believe they taste greater!

P: hehehe I mean enough for 20 pieces. I am big on pumpkin and vegetables. I do love sage and garlic with pumpkin :)

bee said...

thank you, dear arfi. for your entry.

Andrea said...

Arfi these look so tasty! Love roasting squash so must try this too.

Aelwyn said...

I notice your pumpkin is green on the outside. Here in the U.S. we wait until they turn orange, but I am now living in Alaska and trying to grow some.

Do you know if your pumpkins are a different variety or can they be picked when green and eaten?

Looks like a great recipe.

I am going to try the rhubarb vanilla jam recipe this week.

Arfi Binsted said...

bee: you're most welcomed :)

andrea: this won't be so hard to do. glad you like it :)

Aelwyn: As I wrote on the other post, we grow Queensland pumpkins and buttercups which are different varieties from the yellow ones. The Queensland pumpkins have gray skins and will only stay gray even though they are ready to be picked. The green skin ones are buttercups which have different flavour from the gray ones. They are more nutty on taste.

We don't pick them while they are still in their vines but we do that when the mother plants and vines are died out. We also leave them on the ground for as long as they can stand to retain their flavour. As what we experience that their flavour tends to improve when they are left out under the sun.

Hope this will clarify some things :) Thanks for visiting my blog and good luck with the jam!

Alexa said...

Beautiful pictures. I have been trying to grow somethings this year, but only a few things have taken roots. I am still hopeful that I will master this gardening thing though. I love roasted pumpkins and your dish looks yummy.

Mandira said...

Arfi, this looks gorgeous, have to try this soon!

zlamushka said...

Arfi, this looks deliscous, your own pumpkin, yum. I love the simplicity, surely it brought out the flavor of pumpkin itself. Home-grown thingies ROCK!
I am happy to discover your blog. I came here through Jugalbandi, as I am featuring their blog in this month´s Tried And Tasted, I hope you are participating.