July 12, 2008

Pear and Walnut Gingerbread Pudding

We have beautiful weather in these past two days, although not so much heat to burn your skin, it is very appreciated. The morning could be really freezing with severe frost but they melt away during daytime. It is just so relief that we can see and feel the sun in this time of the year. I heard cold snaps happen in the South Island that brings me a thought of my other Kiwi blogger, Bron Marshall down in Christchurch.

Cold snap can be really miserable for sheep during lambing time. We received our first twin lambs just 5 days ago. It was not a fine day but the lambs were survived. One of them looked weaker than the other which can be the result of not getting good latched on her mother's breast. Often, when a lamb is getting weaker and can't get on her feet, the mother will reject her (which is now our other task to do--bottle-feeding her!). I don't know why, it is just cruel sometimes.

We just 'celebrate' my birthday last Sunday with a big family meal at lunch time. I cook, of course, since there's no other cook in the house. Indonesian menu was the choice just for a change after enjoying soup or casserole. I have to keep them warm and only could take snapshots from the whole lot before they turn 'cold'. Now, that you get older, you feel like to get more carbo and protein. Mind you, I need carb to do gardening or chasing the escaping sheep from the paddock or shooing the calves to go to the next paddock. I am half-farmer-gardener-cook-photographer, and I need more energy to help my kids learning at home.

ayam goreng bumbu kacang goreng
kerupuk Indonesian Menu
sambal goreng terasi cucumber-tomato salad
coconut rice lime juice

The next celebration will be on the 25th of July, and my daughter has 'ordered' a birthday cake I should make. I've been thinking to do the simplest way for a celebration cake, because I really want to make more macarons for after-dinner sweets. That's the plan. Anyone probably can help me with ideas?


pear plus #1

Anyway, I've made this gingerbread pudding about a few weeks ago but I just am too lazy to write the recipe, besides I have to deal with my back pain. This pudding is quite sweet, so next time, I won't use all the sugar. The additon of pears gives another flavoursome level. With or without the butterscotch, the cake itself is really nice.

Pear plus #2

Pear & Walnut Gingerbread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce

Source: Ray McVinnie. Cuisine. Issue 111 July 2005.

210g butter
250g dark brown sugar
3 ripe pears, peeled, halved and cores removed with a melon baller (I just used the tip of my knife)
6 walnut halves
2 eggs
2 Tbs treacle
250g flour
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
1 Tbs ground ginger (I did 2 Tbs)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
150ml warm milk

Preheat the oven to 175°C. Cream 60g of the butter and 90g of the sugar and spread over the base of a 24cm-diameter cake tin.

Place the pear halves, core side down, on top of the creamed butter and sugar. Dot the walnut halves in between the pear halves.

Cream the remaining butter and sugar then beat in the eggs and treacle. Stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed but do not beat. Pour the mixture over the pears and walnuts.

Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until you can tell the pears are tender when a skewer slides easily through a pear half to the bottom of the tin and the middle of the pudding batter is cooked.

Serve warm in wedges with the hot butterscotch sauce (recipe follows) and a dusting of icing sugar. Whipped cream is also good with this. Serves 6-8.


Pear plus #3


Butterscotch Sauce

Put the sugars, golden syrup and 150ml of the cold water into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugars and syrup.Once boiling, stop stirring and boil until a little dropped into a glass of cold water forms a soft ball (5 minutes).

Remove from the heat, add the butter, the remaining water and vanilla and mix well, but do not beat. Cool. It will become quite hard and crystallise once cold.

Just before serving, bring to the boil to melt and dissolve any sugar crystals. Serve with some of the hot sauce poured over the pudding and the rest in a small bowl on the side.

14 comments:

Jeena said...

Wow! That gingerbread looks fabulous the texture is amazing and I love the brown colour.

Happy birthday for last week. :-) The food looked amazing.

linda said...

Indonesian is one of my favourite cuisines. We have lots of Indonesian restaurants in the Netherlands.
As for the birthday cake, why not decorate with mini macarons like you would see on French cakes?
The pudding looks lovely, especially for the colder weather you're having over their.
Hope your back feels better soon!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Wow what a beautiful pudding and beautiful feat by the way! Your blog is adorable.

Peter G said...

It's interesting to read about your life on the farm Arfi. I find it all quite fascinating purely because its all so different to where I live etc.. And what a wonderful feast you had celebrating your b'day! All that beautiful Indo fare and all so magnificently captured..and your pudding is the perfect winter warmer!

Dani said...

The gingerbread sounds divine. Looks it too.

Y said...

Mother, farmer, gardener, cook and photographer.. I don't know how you manage to do it all :)

And that delightful pear and walnut number.. ah, gingerbread and pudding just happen to be two of my favourite words!

Kevin said...

That pudding looks amazing!

Cakelaw said...

What a gorgeous looking pudding Arfi! Glad to hear that your first 2 lambs for the year survived - it's hard seeing the poor things suffer in the cold.

african vanielje said...

Your ginger bread cake looks scruptious and so does your birthday feast. Happy birthday and good luck with the lambs

rajaiblis said...

yummy ...

Elra said...

Arfi, Salam kenal!
Puding looks scrumtious!
OHHH how I envy your life....

Arfi Binsted said...

Jeena: thanks for the greeting on my past birthday hehehe it was just a solemn one without any blowing candles ritual kind of thing. and yes, this pudding is really nice!

Linda: oh yes! Indonesia and the Netherlands have something in common: historical background hehehe... Thanks for your concern on my back, Linda. It's a very kind of you.

Clumbsy Cookie: Thank you!

Peter: hehehe yes I live in a different place of yours, P. We had lived in a suburb in the city before we moved to the countryside but then we wanted the same thing: a spacious place. And here we are, enjoying our quite life :) One day when you visit NZ, make sure you head this way, P. I'll make gado-gado for you hehehe...

Dani: it's quite nice with black tea :)

Y: oh, I don't manage them all hehehe... well, sort of. Mind you, I have schedules to follow and fill in hehehe... to keep things organized, otherwise... thank you for your highly thought of me, Y! Appreciate that :)

Kevin: doesn't it!

Gaye: oh there's a sad news. another twins but one of them had died the next day after she was born. It was too cold for her with not enough milk... poor little thing.

Inge: thank you! great to hear from you again, Inge :)

Rajaiblis: indeed...!

Elra: hey... no need to envy someone's life. I believe that everyone has taken her/his part. So, be merry :) thanks for visiting my blog.

Elra said...

Arfi,
I meant that as a compliment! I envy your life!

Suganya said...

Your pictures are marvelous, Arfi. I enjoy every visit to your blog.