August 27, 2008

Orange Cake - A Tribute to Ruri

We were just about to go to Mount Ruapehu when I found many text messages came on my mobile phone as soon as I activated it, about two weeks ago. The news was sad. Our beloved friend, Ruri Hujiansyah, had died of cancer. I had to sit down for a while and remembered the moment I met her at NCC 'headquarter' in Jakarta back in 2006. It was her lovely klaapertaart that came to my mind. It was wonderfuly rich and was a homemade. She was a very good cook and a very talented baker. She produced lovely goodies and her ideas would always be inspirations to a lot of people.

orange splash

Ruri, we'll be missing you and will always remember you as a good person and a lovely friend. Farewell, my friend. Rest in Peace.

Orange Cake

This is my tribute to Ruri. Please tag with "ruri" or "tribute to ruri" if you'd like to join with me. If you're not an Indonesian and can't read Indonesian, you still are able to give a tribute by creating your own dish in the regards of Ruri by tagging the same words. Thank you.

Indonesian can be viewed here.

orange cake a tribute to ruri

Source : mbak Ita NCC

Bahan :
375g butter
2 Cup caster sugar
1 cup orange juice (atau 1/4 cup orange concentrate + 1/4 cup water)
2 Cup plain flour + 1 tsp Baking powder, sift
1 Cup ground almond
14 egg yolks
4 egg whites
(otherwise, use 6 whole eggs to reduce colesterol intake, whisk loosely)

  • Put the butter, sugar and orange juice in a saucepan and heat the mixture until the butter is melted. Set aside to cool.
  • Combine the flour and ground almond in a large bowl, make a well in the centre.
  • Pour in the butter mixture, whisk slowly until the mixture is smooth.
  • Add in the eggs, mix well.
  • Pour into 3 triplet 24cm tins.
  • Put in the oven until well baked.
50g cornflour
50g sugar
300g water
25g orange concentrate
1 Tbs melted butter

Put cornflour, sugar and water in a saucepan, cook until thicken, add in the orange concentrate and melted butter. Whisk until well-mixed and smooth.

  • Sandwich the cake with the filing
  • Decorate with fresh fruits, if you like


Barbara said...

arfi I'm so sorry about your friend. This is a lovely tribute to her. hugs from me.

Peter G said...

I'm also sorry to hear about your friend...and I think this is a lovely treat you have made in her honour. My thoughts and prayers are with you Arfi.

Y said...

Arfi, very sorry to hear about the passing of your friend.

sefa firdaus said...

hi Mbak,
I came here from Mae's Kitchen.
What a coincidence, I just posted a recipe by Ruri and also made it as a tribute to her. Only I didn't put the tag. I'll add later.

Btw, beautiful photos!

Cakelaw said...

A lovely tribute Arfi - so sorry to hear about your loss.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I'm so sorry for your loss - I hope that someday the cure to this disease is found. I have lost my mom to cancer 22 years ago and I don't want others to go through what I have.

This is such a beautiful cake - an amazing tribute.

Ayu said...

Haduh haduh, mbak Arfiii.. itu orange-nya nampak sungguh segar skaliiiyy! :9 Keren banged, mbak, nyang nyemplunk ke aer ituh :))

Btw, selamat menjalankan ibadah puasa ya, mbak. Mohon maaf lahir batin. Peluk sayang untuk Ben & Sarah :)

yasmeen said...

My heart felt condolences for your friend. A beautiful tribute.

bee said...

what a beautiful tribute, arfi. may her soul rest in peace.

Vania said...

Mbak Arfi,
aku link postingan ini di round-up event 'A Tribute to Ruri' yah.
Gak keberatan kalo fotonya juga dimunculin kan?
Pls let me know about that.