August 21, 2008

T&T: Cook from Jugalbandhi

Oh boy, my back's hurting again. I guess I've been digging and hoeing too much, in celebration of having sunshine (in between showers) to manage and re-organize our abandoned garden. Yep, since Winter is really nasty this year, my cinerarias are burnt as the result of frost. Some part of our lawn is going yellow as frost have laid its big foot on, making great marks. And then now, rains are making the earth is soggy.

On the other hand, it might be a good news for our apricots to grow better. Our climate here is apparently not cold enough for them to give more fruits than ever, while they should be growing well in South Island. We only had 5 apricots last year from the whole trees. We also had to dig out one of the trees as it was really prone to diseases and did not produce at all. The replacements are more for apples, peaches, and plums.

plumcott blooms

I did a little bit more efforts on pollinating the plumcotts (a crossed between plum and apricot) and early plums (so called Dans Early which usually is harvested early in Summer), as there are new blooms each day. However, with wet days like these days, it is impossible to have the brushes stay dry. I guess I have to wait until the days are free from showers. I don't think it's going to happen in three-four days ahead. Sigh.


Spring is not here yet, although my daffodils are already displaying their cheerful and bright colours with tulips in different tones. I guess it is too early, but they are there. I can't stop them from growing. Perhaps, storing the bulbs in the vegetable crisper in the fridge give them a boost to grow faster. I have to de-head them as soon as they're wilted or fallen their petals. They would need more energy to store nutrition in the bulbs for next year's work, so I read in one of Burke's Backyard issues.


Back to the kitchen. Perhaps you are familiar with Tried and Tasted event, created and hosted by Zlamushka. This is one of the ways to go to someone's kitchen and cook what they cook and taste what they taste. This month, we all go to Jugalbandhi, Bee and Jai's very own kitchen, who are the brains behind Click Photo event which I suppose it is so popular you already know.

brussel sprouts

I've browsed their recipes and I came up with these brussel sprouts dish. I did click more than once recipe, but with my sore back, I can't do much than I want too. I picked Brussel Sprouts with Lemon-Mustard Sauce because I have the ingredients handy.

The thing that I am interested in this dish is that how do they combine lemon and mustard with these mini-cabbage-like vegetables to go in one plate and would taste flavoursome all the same? I can tell you, the combination is great, especially when you take these slowly to let the flavour of lemon and mustard tantalizing your buds in between the crunchiness of the vegetables with a hint of sweet honey in your mouth (yes, I replace maple syrup with Manuka honey, a New Zealand best honey). This dish is compliment the roast chicken that I cook for dinner. It is just perfect for easy and quick serving in your busy days. Not so many ingredients are inquired, not so much time spent.


Arundathi said...

That sounds delicious - I'm always trying to find new ideas with brussel sprouts and have to try this! thanks.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow this looks awesome. Amazing photos dear. I never tried my hands on this. I think iam gonna make this.

Peter G said...

As I've said before I thoroughly enjoy reading about your life on the farm. I can't wait to see how those plumcotts turn out for the brussel sprouts, you know I'm a fan and I love this recipe with the use of lemon and mustard...great stuff!

bee said...

you grow such beautiful things!!! can't wait to see your apricots and pluots. glad you liked the brussels sprouts cooked this way.

eliza said...

spring is coming to you! i love how you cook the brussel sprouts, sadly, i'm the only one who will eat them in my family :D

Kitchen Flavours said...

There is a suprise for you in my blog. Click here to know what the suprise is,

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Arfi, they look really good... never thought of adding mustard to Burssel sprouts, interesting.

About your comment on my blog, Jack Daniel's is brand of the whiskey from Tennessee and this sauce is made with it.

Ciao, Margot

Cakelaw said...

Gorgeous photos Arfi, and certainly a novel take on brussel sprouts. Hope that back is feeling better soon.

zlamushka said...

oh, you made this dish? I have been eyeing that one for long, too bad there is no Brussel sprout season these days :-( thanks for participating.