September 27, 2008

Crusts Fun for Click

Uhm... Bee thinks that crusts are not as appealing as the filling? Very opposite to my children. They love eating pastry than the pastry filling, except the filling is some kind of tasty cheese or chocolate (of course!). Well, I think Bee and my children are good companions. While Bee is eating up the filling, my children will finish the pastry for her. Sounds a good idea, doesn't it?

Apart from the pastry case, I have been exploring food photography outdoor. I don't really have professional gadgets to carry out with me, but just my camera with lens attached. Another thing to carry and will always be beside me is my DIY reflector which is made from a cake-board lined with tin foil. It helps to reflect the light from wherever it may come to the exposed object.

I first explored mini banoffie pies, which recipe can be found here. It was in the afternoon, perhaps around 5pm, and it was getting a bit dark. I want to give the outdoor feeling with petals carpet from Magnolia tree is still spread on the ground. The low sunlight was a bit harsh and it was only lit some parts of the tarts. I thought, well, why not. Let's give it a go. Here are two sets of the shots:

banoffie pie-set 1

bannofie pie-set2-1

I cropped a little bit of the first photo to limit the frame of view. The second one is another a closer look of the tarts.

Now, since I tried Abby's Danish pastry, I know how to make a homemade puff pastry. I know it's time consuming, but it's a full satisfaction. I am playing around with it to make broccoli filled triangles, Camembert triangles, and dark chocolate filled little bites.

It started spitting when I began the shooting. My plan was to go with picnic basket and rug, but it was impossible as the day was going really gray and it would start pouring soon. I took a shortcut with the idea on my head to apply on the shootings.

camembert filled tirangles by arfi binsted '08 outdoor explored

I made Camembert triangles first. This dish is inspired by the chefs at a restaurant in the Pukekohe outskirt once we attended an occasion there. They made Camembert triangles dipped in eggs and rolled in breadcrumbs, and then deep-fried. Deliciously hot and melting immediately, though we need to be careful not to burn our tongue! Now, I tranform the idea into pastry cases. Sadly, some of the cheese escaped because I did not seal it properly. Some of them are just right. I brushed the pastry with milk, give a rosemary needle as an accent and sprinkled with grated Parmesan.

broccoli filled triangles-2 by arfi binsted '08 outdoor explored

broccoli filled triangles by arfi binsted '08 outdoor explored

Then, there are broccoli filled triangles. I made the filling with very simple ingredients: broccoli (cut into small florets), onion (chopped), garlic (chopped) cooked in butter until fragrant, and then cook the broccoli florets in it, shaking pan until broccoli soft, splash a good tablespoon vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper, the filling is ready. With the image on my mind to go for a picnic idea, I try to prepare the set as casual as possible. Two shots made it to the bottom from 56 clicks.

Now, last shots are these:

dark chocolate filled little bites-2 by arfi binsted '08 outdoor explored

dark chocolate filled little bites by arfi binsted '08 outdoor explored

I am sending one of these photos for Click: Crusts, created and hosted by Bee and Jai of Jugalbandhi. I hope it is proven now that crusts are delicious!



On this occasion (as this is going to be my last post of the month), I also want to greet brothers and sisters in Islam: Eid Mubarak. Love from the land of Kiwi. May we meet again next Ramadan and inshallah be blessed throughout the year.

eid mubarak

13 comments:

bee said...

eid mubarak to you, dear arfi.

that's true. when i'm eating something with a crust, jai hovers around me so that he gets the crust. i gladly give it to him and he gives me his filling. love all your outdoor shots. which lens did you use?

Peter G said...

Wonderful Arfi! The top two shots are my favourite! Love the whole "filled pastry" triangles! Great effort for an outdoor shoot!

Agatek said...

They are amazing, great pictures :)

Cakelaw said...

What gorgeous photographs Arfi - you have a real talent.

Happy cook said...

Wow Arfi you put a lot of work to your pictures :)
Love to have a bite of the cheese traiangle.

Ivy said...

Great job with the pictures Arfi. Thanks about the tip of the DIY reflector. Good luck with click.

eliza said...

wonderful and delicious entry! selamat lebaran ya Fi...

Passionate About Baking said...

Eid Mubarak to you & your family as well Arfi. My kids will fight Bee for the crust & your kids for the filling...food wars...LOL!! Beautiful pictures...love your enthusiam & the great outdoors!

Lael said...

mmmm, I do love puff pastry. and camembert! This post is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Kate / Kajal said...

Eid Mubarak Arfi !
Lovely outdoor photographs ... i always love getting out in the garden to take pictures, specially if the grass is as green n wonderful as yours ! Dunno what i like more, the banoffee, or the choc parcels :) Everything looks yummy !

Yasmeen said...

Mashallah ,you take the best shots of beauty in nature:) The crust entry looks delish!
Eid-ul-Fitr Mubarak to you dear Arfi!
Thanks for sharing your Ramadan favorites with us:)

Andrie Anne said...

Iiihh syukaaa foto2nyaaa..bosen dgn yg indoor, liat yg outdoor bgini seger niannn..Selamat Hari Raya Mba Arfi, Mohon Maaf Lahir dan Batin..

maimoona said...

Eid Mubarak!
Nice blog with excellent pictures,very happy to visit your blog.